Hello Guest

Author Topic: Basics of Composition  (Read 5402 times)

Offline sehgalatul

• Rookie
  • You only live Once
Re: Basics of Composition
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 06:52:11 PM »
   I would also like to highlight that if your DOF calculator says that hyperfocal distance for a particular focal length & aperture is say 7 feet but using the method told above even if you focus at 8.5 feet using what you use using grid it doesnt matter. yes if if difference in focusing distance becaomes 11- 12 feet ceratinly you lose the edge..... ;)

Offline Sandeep

• Trusted Member
  • Manic
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 07:01:38 PM »
Hi Atul,

What you have proposed is one way to approximate 1/3rd distance into the scene.

Focusing on 1/3rd in your viewfinder(using grid-lines or by judgement) does not necessarily mean you are focusing on 1/3rd of the actual scene in front of you. It depends on the terrain of the landscape and at what vertical angle you are framing it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:03:40 PM by Sandeep »
"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept." - Ansel Adams

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 09:10:56 PM »
Hi Atul,

What you have proposed is one way to approximate 1/3rd distance into the scene.

Focusing on 1/3rd in your viewfinder(using grid-lines or by judgement) does not necessarily mean you are focusing on 1/3rd of the actual scene in front of you. It depends on the terrain of the landscape and at what vertical angle you are framing it.
+1.
That was my first thought. Scenes will not always be linear where point at bottom of frame is closest to you and the point at the top farthest. And everything set in perfect ratio in between.

Offline sehgalatul

• Rookie
  • You only live Once
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 11:03:20 PM »
 Rightly said sir...you have to choose a subject passing in front of you on the lowest grid line...Reframe the scene after locking focus on the point closest to you that passes through the bottom line of the grid. you are at 1/3 rd into the scene...Yes terrains are never linear and never according to your desires and  design...more so even if you have manual focus lens with depth of field scale...the basic principle reamins the same you need to focus than on the nearest object at that very hyperfocal distance...so using grid is a simple and easier way than to make things complicated...Hope you guys agree 8) :) :D ::)...Believe me guys at this moment you all might be thinking what's so special in what i have told you but just sit back and think have you ever employed  this method ever and have you ever thought about it....what i have told you is correct in principle subject to a particular focal length you use and considering what is infinity for that focal length...i hope you all guys know that every focal length has a different Infinity ....So being a science guy i have concluded that what i discovered and applied in correct in principle and in practice as well.....

Offline Sandeep

• Trusted Member
  • Manic
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2014, 03:29:52 PM »
Atul..Yes, as long as one is aware of its limitations , this technique is an effective and easy way to get good DOF at different focal lengths.

Btw this tutorial was about composition, and we have drifted off to a completely different topic..Ayaz must be cursing us all  :D

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept." - Ansel Adams

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2014, 09:19:28 PM »
Btw this tutorial was about composition, and we have drifted off to a completely different topic..Ayaz must be cursing us all  :D

Nopes...its been a healthy discussion and I've enjoyed going through everyones inputs :)
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2014, 09:20:20 PM »

Nopes...its been a healthy discussion and I've enjoyed going through everyones inputs...im always happy to read stuff if there is some element of "learning" that takes place :)
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc