Hello Guest

Author Topic: How did your interest in Photography develop..  (Read 6257 times)

Offline PixelHunter

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Learning something new everyday..
Re: How did your interest in Photography develop..
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 06:03:34 PM »
Thanks a lot Henry for sharing your story. I must say yours is a long and colourful journey.  But it seems you missed one important milestone I.e when you acquired the leica. Please share that as well.

I would like to urge both new as well as existing members to share their story as well. It feels good to know about each others story.
"The best camera is the one that's with you" Chase Jarvis

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 04:45:35 AM »
Thanks a lot Henry for sharing your story. I must say yours is a long and colourful journey.  But it seems you missed one important milestone I.e when you acquired the Leica. Please share that as well.

Greetings, Binoy.

I guess I did skimp over that part, so I will elaborate a bit.

Back in the sixties, my first "real" camera was a 35mm rangefinder, a Yashica J.  Frankly, it did a splendid job for the several years I had it.  However, at the time I did not yet know enough about photography to appreciate the strengths of the rangefinder style of camera.  The J had a very good Japanese copy of a Zeiss Tessar, a 45mm "four elements in three groups" f2.8 fixed lens with exceptional contrast, and sharpness seemingly second to none at f4.0 and above. During that time friends were buying SLRs and were making fun of my simple, meter-less camera. After a while I succumbed to that group pressure, sold the Yashica J for a song and bought a Yashica TL Super SLR. A couple of decades passed before I learned enough to appreciate the qualities of the rangefinder technology which I had left behind.  Along the way I met a few people who were Leica enthusiasts.  I remember talking with one of them, an old timer, telling him about the superior abilities of an SLR and TTL metering.  I also recall his having said "Cameras come and cameras go, but the Leica remains."  It seemed like a silly thing for him to say, but later I would understand.

So, from about the mid 80s onward, I wondered how it would be to have a rangefinder in the arsenal again.  By that time, I had learned enough to know that I would enjoy a Leica M if I ever did that.  More than another decade passed.  Then one day in the late 90s I was in a camera store which dealt in new and used camera gear.  I asked the proprietor "Does anyone ever offer Leica equipment on consignment here?"  He said "Not often, but it so happens that a lady just brought her late husband's M3 here, and I haven't put it into the display case yet." Out from under the sales counter the owner presented a cardboard box with that M3 and a few related accessories.  I looked it over and we agreed on a price.  For about a year afterward I enjoyed getting used to it.  I had come full circle, and was at last appreciating the rediscovery of the rangefinder style of camera.

As I have said in other threads, the Leica M is an extremely simple camera.  The things it cannot do are many.  Its feature list is short, but it does a few things really well.  I do use it, but a lot less than my dSLR.  Even so, I just cannot imagine not having the M3 at this point in my passage, at least not for as long as I can get some decent film.  For whatever it's worth, our friend KR gives a simplified comparison of the SLR and the RF.  It is enhanced with his usual dose of superlatives, so a touch of salt will be required. But it seems to be essentially correct, IMO.

:)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:35:44 PM by Hankosaurus »
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline WILD CAT

• Trusted Member
  • Loyalist
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 11:21:52 PM »
My Interest Developed last year when I had been to wai panchganj and kaas with our founding members of the PCI Ayaz arkt Dr.Bijlani Kunnal Brendon Aditya Gautam..the trip was fine till the dinner at wai where brendon and RKT shared their work & I was amazed at seeing their works..two great pics ..Brendon's landscape pics..and rkt's bat's pic and the shot where he had shot the full eclipse.. That's when my interest started developing.. Next day while shooting the sunrise at panchgani I didn't have a camera..used my nexus 4 and tried to shoot it..Dr.Bijlani taught me the controls of my phone's camera..basic exposure settings and I got a nice shot..later Ayaz held his tobacco filter in front of my phone's camera to help me get another nice pic..and I realized I could shoot good photos too :) that brought a smile on my face..slowly as the trip continued.. I shot some photos..and when I reached home I realized I didn't remember anything from my busy life..no tension of work..a complete stress buster..soon was convinced by Dr.Kolke also to get a camera and develop it as a hobby..so that's how I learnt basics of photography and my interest developed..some day if I shoot good photos ..the people behind them will be Dr.Bijlani Dr.Kolke Ayaz Brendon RKT..Even G2 (for teaching me the proper angle at manori to shoot the fishes) Jadrock (macros at owalekarwadi) and all my PCI friends to help me support me..and encourage me to shoot better :)

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 08:08:35 AM »
Hello Wild Cat.

It does my soul good to read your story and see how that your friends here at PCI helped you get interested in this avocation that we all love so much.   I recall how it was during my working career that I enjoyed photography like you for its therapeutic benefits, getting with friends and putting workday issues out of the mind for awhile.  Here's wishing you much success and joy in your journey with this fascinating art form.

Happy Day.

Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »
I recall how it was during my working career that I enjoyed photography like you for its therapeutic benefits, getting with friends and putting workday issues out of the mind for awhile. 

Photography is surly a stress buster.
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)

Offline madsolute

• Regular
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 11:49:27 PM »
Sometimes my mind's ear can hear her say "Remember, space is an important shape too".

No one could have said it better! What a fantastic story Henry!

My story is a little similar to WILD CAT. Only difference is in my case these guys helped revive the interest in Photography.

My father used to take atleast one picture of me every day using his Mamiya 135EE. I only remember a few of these pics and when they were taken. He'd even let me play with the camera when there was no film on it! Until one day I dropped it from the second floor balcony (I guess in 1989). We still had the camera with a cracked lens till sometime in 1995. Too bad no replacement parts were available for it in India.

His next camera was a Nikon FM2 which he gave me as a gift on my 12th b'day. I used to try one or two images every week on it and would develop the film (Mostly a 24 exposures reel) once finished. The images would mostly be cats, dogs, chicken, cattle, flowers, rice fields etc. since I grew up in a village. The photography stopped once I started college for some reason. But I still had the camera & a couple of lenses packed away somewhere.

Ayaz & I used to work in the same office and would interact quite often on different topics. One day he saw me browsing some reviews of a newly launched Nikon P100. I was planning to buy my first digital camera (This was in Sept 2010). As usual, Ayaz had a couple of wise crack comments on the camera and asked me if I'm serious about photography and if I had any pictures that I'd taken. I showed him a couple of images I'd taken on a friend's Sony H2. Ayaz started to convince me on buying a DSLR and even offered to lend me a lens or two if needed for some time.

I went on to Owalekarwadi with him that weekend and got a chance to meet DrAnand, Dr Bijlani, Brendon and the lot. Even took a couple of images using Ayaz's D90.

Before I knew it I dropped the plan to buy a 25K P100 and bought the 29K D3100 instead. Since then I've had a privilege of going on trips with some of the most talented photographers.

So thanks to Ayaz for reviving that photography keeda in me!

Regards
Abhishek

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 02:03:42 AM »
Hi Abhishek.

Thank you for sharing your story.   Glad to see photography come back into your life as it has.  I wonder if you still have those pictures made early in your life.  I know that you must treasure them.

Your friend Ayaz did a lot to get this Forum underway.  A very talented and energetic young man he is.  I'm glad he was in a place to influence your decision to embrace the hobby again.  Your time spent with other fellow photographers is well spent too ... probably much more so than in thinking about gear.

FM2... nice choice.  Your dad knew about good cameras alright.  Some would say that the FM2 was a frame of reference in Nikon's creation of their "digital F," the Nikon Df.  I think I could like the Df, given a chance to work with it.  But alas, it would make little difference.  As you have doubtlessly seen, pictures come from the imagemaker far more so than from his camera.

Happy Day.
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Offline madsolute

• Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 09:03:57 PM »
I wonder if you still have those pictures made early in your life.  I know that you must treasure them.

I've got all of them in prints and a few of them scanned. I normally take all the albums out atleast once in 3 months and just makes sure none of them are stuck to the sheets and they're all good. I know scanning will preserve them longer but the charm that a print carries can't be matched by a digital copy!

Here's one when I was about 7 months old.

My dad just told me this was taken using a Fujichrome Provia on the Mamiya 135EE

I'm happy that I'm back making images. And like you said, it has been an absolute pleasure & privilege knowing some of the senior members here!

Regards
Abhishek
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:12:34 PM by madsolute »

Offline sayan mukherjee

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 05:13:11 PM »
hi,
   well,my love for photography had its development when i was merely a child,with no camera of mine.used to gaze at others' cameras.got one small film camera when in college-then shifted to digital one,sony-now having nikon3100 with two lenses.

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2015, 02:13:43 AM »
hi,
   well,my love for photography had its development when i was merely a child,with no camera of mine.used to gaze at others' cameras.got one small film camera when in college-then shifted to digital one,sony-now having nikon3100 with two lenses.

Hello Sayan.

Welcome to PCI!  We hope your interest in photography will flourish, and that you will enjoy the good company of fellow Members here.

Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3