Sandeep - Surreal
3 (4.2%)
SharatKolke - The Silhoutte
2 (2.8%)
dashillol - When Rain Ends on a Sugarcane Field
1 (1.4%)
Amia Aytida - Portrait of Landscape
1 (1.4%)
Subhadip - Kolakham (view of Darjeeling and Sikkim)
3 (4.2%)
vogon - City Skyline
0 (0%)
koolseen - friends on a beach
0 (0%)
toofan - Its a beautiful Life !
6 (8.5%)
Pankajkumars - Water Power of Kargil
5 (7%)
g2 - Kiama Blues
7 (9.9%)
Amlan Sanyal -THE LONELY BOAT
9 (12.7%)
aatifsumar -Ponderings
4 (5.6%)
avarikat - Morning mists, Wayanad
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: May 08, 2014, 11:18:25 AM

Author Topic: April 2014 Photo Shootout (Comments Only) (POLLING OPEN HERE)  (Read 4060 times)

Offline manvee

• Rookie
  • ....Still Learning
Re: April 2014 Photo Shootout (Comments Only)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 04:49:52 PM »
@gsferrari: Its a classy shot buddy..! But why the colors looks so saturated..?

manvee
It costs 38 Trillion dollars to create OXYGEN for 6 months for all Human beings on earth.

"TREES DO IT FOR FREE"

"RESPECT THEM and SAVE THEM"

Offline Brendon

• Global Moderator
  • Manic
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 11:19:23 AM »
Submissions are closed !!! :D

Please vote for the winner. As last time 3 votes per person and please mention why you have voted for a particular photo. :)

Offline Subhadip

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
    • My Website
Re: April 2014 Photo Shootout (Comments Only) (POLLING OPEN HERE)
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 03:47:49 PM »
Voting done :)
Mad about Nikon... :)

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 07:00:15 PM »
Voted! Some really beautiful pics here. My favourite genre of photographs.

Offline Chillum_Baba

• Manic
  • Chillum Baba
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 12:29:00 AM »
Brendon, I missed the photograph of the cat and the link to wikipedia about the topic....So disappointing..... :'( :'( :'(

Missing Missy
http://www.27bslash6.com/missy.html

Offline kaushik_s

• Loyalist
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 03:37:01 AM »
Voted!! Some lovely pics out there.  :like:

I hope it's ok to put some comments about the images here, if not then mods can remove them.. Just my personal opinions and thus take it with loads of salt :p

1. Sleepy Sunrise :  Nice colors of sunrise, but somehow I feel there is bit too much of unused space on the right side. Wish there was another boat there to balance it..
2. Bliss :  I kinda like this shot very much, mostly because of the drama in the sky. Have you tried to convert it to monochrome?
3. A Morning in Trou Aux Biches : I really really wished that those boats were not moving.
4. No boats for old men : Compositional elements are there, could've been a better shot in a better light. But the light is bit too harsh and colors are feeling too saturated. Also those white flags kind of things on the right is not adding value and could've been avoided.
5. Providence :  Loved the light's play on the far side of the frame, well captured.
6. Nature at it's Best :  Nice scene but the crooked horizon is just taking away everything. Again, probably not the best time to shoot landscape during mid-day sun.
7. A Journey Begins : Nice composition and great colors on the sky. Loved it too..
8. Life is an Illusion : Typical Ayaz style processing, I like (ok, but not always) ;). My only grouse would be trees which are being cut thru the horizon badly.
9. Surreal : Simplistic/minimalist pic, Sandeep style :)  But have you tried a vertical compo? I feel that would've worked better here.
10. The Silhoutte :  I like the scene but the silhouette of the angler is not coming out as intended I feel.
11. When Rain Ends on a Sugarcane Field : Nice rainbow but composition could've been worked upon. Looks like a very casual shot. Also the sky on the left top has some artifacts, may be due to post processing.
12. Portrait of Landscape : This one has similar problem as Ayaz ie trees being cut badly by horizon. A lower angle would've helped I feel..
13. Kolakham : sky had nice colors and the ground below was also lit up. But either having more sky and less ground or vice versa would've worked better..
14. City Skyline : Hmmm I like it very much but when I see such skylines I want to see it closer ;) Basically less of sky and more of those tall lit up buildings up close :D May be even a panorama of that skyline..
15. friends on a beach : Crooked horizon again. You had nice colors but it is not coming out as it should have been. Some more post processing work is definitely needed here.
16. Its a beautiful Life ! : Nice curve on the road and a lady walking down. But the right side of the frame is somehow not adding to the compo. May be a vertical compo would've worked better??
17. Water Power of Kargil : Nice location but is there a tilt?? Also there are some banding visible on the sky and water..
18. Kiama Blues : Wish I had taken this shot ;). Loved it. Great depth, all the elements are there and great work.  :like:
19. THE LONELY BOAT :  Like the compo and you seemed to had a brilliant sky. But didn't like the post processing. There seems to be lots of HDR processing artifacts and bit too much of saturation.
20. Ponderings : Not sure if I like the composition, feels bit too crowded to me. Lots of elements fighting for their own space :). I'm just wondering that a clean reflection shot of the trees on left and that nice sky would've looked better..
21. Morning mists, Wayanad :  Personally not a big fan of square frames. But I feel that this might not be the right compo for this frame. But let someone with more knowledge on square frame give his/her opinion.

Alright guys, please don't flame me if I have hurt anyone with my comments. When I see Landscapes I feel the urge to study those pics from my POV and put down my comments. They may not be always right, so please pardon me in such case :) I am also still learning and it's a continuous process.
 PS: I really wanted to post one of my own pic but I was not sure which one to select and on this confusion I missed the date :(
 PPS : I think there should be a rule for a minimum size for competitions. Many of the pics are bit too small sized to properly view them. Just a suggestion to the team.

Regards,
Painting with Light and Shadow..
https://www.facebook.com/PhotographyByKaushik

Offline saiki

• Trusted Member
  • Manic
  • From Canon camp
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 01:33:59 PM »
Thanks kaushik for your time and detailed analysis.....I also wish those boats were not there, but my bad luck :( ....

Doc, I only gave one vote and submitted , is there any way I could submit the other two.....
Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I?m going to take tomorrow. ? Imogen Cunningham

Offline PixelHunter

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Learning something new everyday..
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »
Thanks a lot Kaushik da for taking so much time and pain to analyze each and every picture. Really appreciate your efforts..
"The best camera is the one that's with you" Chase Jarvis

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2014, 03:39:47 PM »
I hope it's ok to put some comments about the images here, if not then mods can remove them.. Just my personal opinions and thus take it with loads of salt :p
Oh such comments are always welcome. No question of removing them.

Offline g2

• Loyalist
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 10:25:06 PM »
I hope it's ok to put some comments about the images here.......

Jeez, I wish you comment (and post pics) more often :)
Thank you so much for taking the time for this, I can honestly say the time and pain you have taken to do this is very very much appreciated.

Cheers mate :like:

Offline kaushik_s

• Loyalist
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 02:58:01 AM »
Thanks a lot guys(ritu/binoy/doc/g2).. I was not able to participate, so I thought if I can contribute something then it would be nice. So posted my comments hoping that it would help.

Ritu, actually it's nice to have the boats. But just that the blur induced due to their movement is causing a slightly jarring effect. May be you could've tried to shoot thru the pier then they won't have been that distracting (the pier being a non-moving object leading towards them)..

G2, wish I had some more decent pics to share at this point. Haven't been shooting for last few months. Probably I need to start searching and salvaging from my archive. :)
Painting with Light and Shadow..
https://www.facebook.com/PhotographyByKaushik

Offline Sandeep

• Trusted Member
  • Manic
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 09:35:19 AM »
Hey thanks a lot for your critique kaushik.. Really appreciated :)

I also came to know that I have my style 8)
"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept." - Ansel Adams

Offline Brendon

• Global Moderator
  • Manic
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 11:02:31 AM »
Thanks for your efforts in posting critique on all the photos ! Most appreciated !!! :D

The results are so far very interesting. There are currently 5 photos tied for first place. Oops ! Shouldn't say anymore !!! :-X

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 02:00:37 AM »
Voted.
Brendon I almost voted for the 3rd Sample pic you put in the OP. :D

Offline Brendon

• Global Moderator
  • Manic
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 11:36:50 AM »
Gentlemen !!! Its with great honor that I have the priviledge of announcing the winner of the PCI April 2014 Contest winner as none other than.......

Amlan Sanyal !!!! ;D  :D  :)  8)

Hearty congratulations to him and to all who participated. :)