Hello Guest

Author Topic: Gorillapod - JOBY - Focus (Short review)  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Chillum_Baba

• Manic
  • Chillum Baba
Gorillapod - JOBY - Focus (Short review)
« on: April 24, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »
With a reference to discussion in the following thread on PCI, I went for Joby Focus.

Reference thread - http://photographyclubofindia.com/boards/index.php?topic=1309.0

Gorillapod - JOBY

Model - Focus

Weight bearing capacity - 5kg

Price - Rs 7,200, without ballhead

Ballhead used - I already have Benro ballhead (BH02...which came with travelangel tripod/monopod)

Effortlessly handled the setup of Ballhead + Canon 60D + Battery Grip + 50mm lens

I was a bit wary of trying 100-400mm on it. But surprisingly, the setup (ballhead + canon 60D + battery grip + 100-400mm) felt quite sturdy and stable. Personally, I will not hesitate to use 100-400 on Joby though with a bit of caution, especially in a hanging position.

Verdict - Very stable gorillapod. Waiting eagerly to try it in the field. I am sure it will give me lot of steady and sharp pics than the previous ones.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:12:38 PM by Chillum_Baba »

Online somnath goswami

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
Re: Gorillapod - JOBY - Focus (Short review)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:01:41 PM »
Excellent. I have the SLR model but it struggles with my D700 with 14-24 and ballhead. May buy one of this.

cheers

Somnath

Offline Chillum_Baba

• Manic
  • Chillum Baba
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »
Excellent. I have the SLR model but it struggles with my D700 with 14-24 and ballhead. May buy one of this.

cheers

Somnath

It was tempting to buy the SLR model to save some bucks. But I am glad that I went by the impulse. Still, I wasnt expecting Focus model to handle the bigger lens setup this well.

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 05:51:16 PM »
Nice to read about ur experience with this gorillapod...

Do add some photos taken with the set up once you get to test it out in the field.

I'm quite happy with it for may landscape and sea scape shots when using with a wide angle / ultra wide angle lens
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Online somnath goswami

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 06:03:58 PM »
Herr Doctor... Your decision is spot on. I bought my slr for using with mft. Along with a novoflex 19 ball it is great for lighter set ups. Unfortunately I have sold that lighter system and upon call of duty with nikon ff, it has done admirably. Only issue is that it spreads it's legs sometime :o, but never lowers it's head :-D . But now I'm gunning for your model and life looks good :D. With these only issue is height, you have to carry that tree, banister, car hood with you always. ;D
Cheers
Somnath

Offline Jasii

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 11:50:43 AM »
Dear Doc Rajput ji,

Thank you for providing us an insight of your new purchase. I always thought that GP's were cheap, guess I was wrong! :) Yes the USP would be low weight and easy of carriage and of course the low shooting angle. Shall wait for a complete review along with pics that you shoot with your new baby.

Cheers!
A Year young with my DSLR and loving it.........
Gear: Canon 600d + 18-55, +55-250