Hello Guest

Author Topic: How to remove orange tint from negatives scanned using a DSLR  (Read 2112 times)

Offline PixelHunter

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Learning something new everyday..
How to remove orange tint from negatives scanned using a DSLR
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:38:31 AM »
I have recently started dabbling in fim and have shot two three rolls. After getting them developed I scanned then using a DSLR. But here comes the problem. C 41 negatives have a strong orange cast which I am finding difficult to remove. I know flatbed scanners have software that removes the cast, but I don't shoot that much to justify buying a flatbed scanner. If someone can guide me on how to do it in PS or know of any plugin for PS for the same, it will be really helpful. .

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Tapatalk

"The best camera is the one that's with you" Chase Jarvis

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
Re: How to remove orange tint from negatives scanned using a DSLR
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 02:19:33 AM »
Hello Binoy.

Fascinating topic. Most of us have a dSLR capable of this feat, so why shouldn't we learn how to do it? I fished around on the web and found the following link which may be useful:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Introduction-30/?ALLSTEPS

It appears from the article that the results could be quite serviceable. I did a similar thing with Kodachrome slides about a year ago. I used an 80mm enlarging lens on a bellows, since it is already optimized for flat field to flat field copy work. I also used a small aperture, about f11 as I recall. Not smaller for fear of diffraction becoming an issue. Low ISO and RAW too.

I think you will find the link of interest. Good luck with your challenge.

:)
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline PixelHunter

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 09:33:38 PM »
Thanks for the link Henry. I went though it and shall definitely give the PP described there a try. I captured the images in my DSLR by using my Galaxy Grand phone as a slide viewer, keeping the negatives on top of the mobile and using the lighted white screen of the mobile as the light source.

However, this link describes how to get even better quality scans by taking multiple shots of a negative and combining them. You may want to take a look.

http://petapixel.com/2012/12/24/how-to-scan-your-film-using-a-digital-camera-and-macro-lens/

This link shows how it gives better result than even a drum scanner.
http://petapixel.com/2012/12/23/why-you-should-digitize-your-film-using-a-camera-instead-of-a-scanner/

After googling a lot, I came across another nice tutorial on how to remove the tint using PS. Those who are interested may take a look.

http://www.jeffreysward.com/editorials/colorneg.htm

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 05:50:25 AM »
Hi Binoy.

Those look great. Thanks. I have bookmarked them.

:)
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline Madhav Bhakta

• Hero
  • I love to see things from Viewfinder
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 08:59:14 AM »
Binoy if you can post a picture here then I would like to try removing the colour cast by my own method.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Canon 7D, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM Macro, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Canon 55-250mm IS, Vivitar 28mm f2.8, Opteka 6.5mm f3.5 Fisheye Lens, Raynox DCR 250, Benro 1980F, Fancierstudio 6664 Ballhead, 4 Way Macro Rail.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_bhakt/

Offline PixelHunter

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:55:10 PM »
Madhav ji right now I don't have. Will send the RAW file via mail to u later.

Offline yusuf

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 06:51:46 PM »
I have recently started dabbling in fim and have shot two three rolls. After getting them developed I scanned then using a DSLR. But here comes the problem. C 41 negatives have a strong orange cast which I am finding difficult to remove. I know flatbed scanners have software that removes the cast, but I don't shoot that much to justify buying a flatbed scanner. If someone can guide me on how to do it in PS or know of any plugin for PS for the same, it will be really helpful. .

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Tapatalk

Always shoot one dark frame so that negative is plain blank, scan it and use it as a reference color offset for rest of the scans.

Offline naturecloseups

• Mentor
  • Rookie
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »
OK, one thread where my dated self (with regard to gizmos and trends) can add some value :D

Seriously, the biggest challenge in the approach mentioned is compensating for the amber mask, which isn't easy. The mask color varies from one film to another (and with age and color temperature etc). For the best results you need "professional" help -- i.e. a specialized plugin or software.

And speaking of such software, the best I could find when I was looking for it 4 years ago was the ColorPerfect suite from C F Systems, which I purchased. You need to use the ColorNeg module therein (not sold separately).

It isn't easy to use (to get a slight sense of what I am talking about, read attached exchange between myself and the creator) but quite rewarding (sample attached -- scanned from negative as a positive then ColorNeg used for inversion -- Kodak Ektar 100) and after all, this is possibly the only one of its kind out there.

Offline naturecloseups

• Mentor
  • Rookie
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »
And I should mention it has built-in profiles for possibly every major color negative film ever made, including the option the refine/create your own.