Hello Guest

Author Topic: Self portrait with strobist experiment  (Read 767 times)

Offline akshayeakki

• Loyalist
Self portrait with strobist experiment
« on: June 06, 2014, 06:34:51 PM »
Was getting bored at home then tried this self portrait, used Yongnuo YN 460II with a white umbrella Camera right bottom, white thermocol sheet on left side at head level.

PP done in ACR and PS CS6

The eye should learn to listen before it looks - Robert Frank

Offline PixelHunter

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Learning something new everyday..
Re: Self portrait with strobist experiment
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »
The lighting is quite unique I must say, but the question is is it complementing the portrait? These kind of lighting may be suited for a funky or weird expressions but for the serious expression it is not working for me. May be a traditional side on lighting would have been better. Just my opinion..
"The best camera is the one that's with you" Chase Jarvis

Offline Hot Shoe

• Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 12:16:30 AM »
Quite acceptable as a 'fun experiment' and it has its own mood quite reminiscent of posters of mystery and suspense movies.  :D
Nikon D7000   /// Nikkor 35mm 1.8G  50mm 1.8D   55-300mm  // Tamron 17-50 f2.8  90mm f2.8 Macro  // Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6  /// Yongnuo 460 II  560 III  /// Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT // Rollei Pro BH611

Offline dashillol

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Learner by Choice
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »
Quite acceptable as a 'fun experiment' and it has its own mood quite reminiscent of posters of mystery and suspense movies.  :D

+1  :)
A Nikon lover with few glasses, Nikon and Yongnuo speedlights, Benro tripod with ball-head and a few Hoya/Nikon/Marumi/Griffin filters

Offline akshayeakki

• Loyalist
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
The lighting is quite unique I must say, but the question is is it complementing the portrait? These kind of lighting may be suited for a funky or weird expressions but for the serious expression it is not working for me. May be a traditional side on lighting would have been better. Just my opinion..

thanks for viewing and glad you liked the lighting. The light complementing or not I can not say. As I wanted this tp portrait in similar manner so tried shooting like that only :P. Yes you are right that funky and weird expressions may look better to many :)

Offline akshayeakki

• Loyalist
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 05:26:49 PM »

thanks for viewing Vinod ji and Hillol ji. :D

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 09:15:16 PM »
nice...i liked the "light"...though i feel it would be more suited to a grunge sort of a photo..
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc