Hello Guest

Author Topic: RAVPower? FileHub Wireless Hands-on Review  (Read 2937 times)

Offline rishabh

• Trusted Member
  • Loyalist
    • Nazzare
RAVPower? FileHub Wireless Hands-on Review
« on: July 06, 2014, 03:14:50 PM »
This is a hands-on review/usage report of RAVPower Filehub

Features:

1. Transfer photos/movies/music/files between iOS and Android Devices and Desktop/Laptop, between mobile devices and SD Card/USB      HDD, and between SD Card and USB hard drive.
2. Built-in 3000 mAh power bank (5V/1A) for charging smartphones
3. NAS File Server (Web Interface): Can connect up to 5 devices (Laptop,Mobile Phone,Tablet/PAD,Desktop etc) at the same time
4. WiFi Hotspot: Can connect to your existing WiFi network so you can share files and access internet at the same time

Price:

Currently the device is not available in India. As such only options are to either import it via international shippers or ask your family member to bring one to you when they return from US

Importing it via a international shipper will cost around Rs 4100.00

Package:

There is nothing much into the packaging. The device comes packed in a white cardboard box.

The box contains the device, charging cable and a manual

Device:

The FileHub is similar in size to a 2.5 inch external hard disk and contain a SD Card slot, a USB Host, Micro USB interface for charging the device and a Power button 

Android/iOS Interface:

To use the device via Android/iOS one need to download the "RAV FileHub" application from Google Play Store or iTunes Store.

On connecting the SD card to the FileHub, it will be displayed in the application

We can browse the files in the media and can delete the files from the application.

Usage

To transfer the files from one media to another, for example from SD card to external HDD, connect the medias to the FileHub

Transferring the files is quite easy, select the files by clicking Manage on the application and after selecting the files select Download and choose the media where you want to transfer the files to

Transfer of files is fast. I transferred 10 RAW files in under 20 seconds from the SD card to the external hard disk

Conclusion

Advantages:
1. The device is very useful for people who don't want to invest in multiple SD cards (as the device costs the same as a 32GB SD card)   or don't want to carry their laptops with them on the shoots
2. Reviewing the pics on the phone/tablets is a breeze
3. Transferring the files from SD card to external hard disk is fast
4. Support upto 1 TB external hard drive
5. Uses micro USB to charge, normal android mobile cables will also work

Disadvantages:
1. The device does not support RAW files so viewing them on the phone/tablet is not possible.
2. The battery is just 3000 mAh. So one need to keep an eye on the usage
3. CF card support is absent. The device can only read SD cards
4. No service center in India. So if the device go kaput nothing can be done except for sending it back to US for repairs
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:29:58 PM by rishabh »

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
Re: RAVPower? FileHub Wireless Hands-on Review
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 07:02:31 PM »
Hmmmm...sounds interesting..i've never tried my hands at something like this...
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline Brendon

• Global Moderator
  • Manic
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 08:12:06 PM »
Very well written review ! Very informative and reading it gives a clear idea of the usage and scope of this product :like:

Honestly though I see little point in such a device. You get a 32 GB memory card for around 1200 bucks. You can buy 3 - 32 GB cards for the price of this gadget.

Offline rishabh

• Trusted Member
  • Loyalist
    • Nazzare
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:23:40 PM »
Very well written review ! Very informative and reading it gives a clear idea of the usage and scope of this product :like:

Honestly though I see little point in such a device. You get a 32 GB memory card for around 1200 bucks. You can buy 3 - 32 GB cards for the price of this gadget.

true, one can buy 2-3 SD cards for the price of a single unit but when on a long tour (like one which i am taking to ladakh) one can not have enough space. In those situations devices like this will prove to be a major help. No need carrying laptop to back up the pics.

ps: i used the Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I 32GB for the price comparison :P

Offline Brendon

• Global Moderator
  • Manic
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 09:31:27 PM »
^^ Yeah for long trips it can be helpful but if it fails then you are out of luck ! I would take my chances with SD cards which I feel will be more reliable in the long run. The card I was referring to was the Sandisk Ultra Class 10 version which costs around 1100 bucks locally. So you can get almost 4 of them for a little more than the price of the device.

This will be pretty useful for guys with a D800 shooting uncompressed RAW though. For them they will need a 2 TB portable drive or two on hand when shooting. :P
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:37:15 PM by Brendon »

Offline Bharat Varma

• Loyalist
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 11:53:54 PM »

Yes, but how would you make a duplicate of an image (for backup) by simply carrying multiple cards?

Offline Brendon

• Global Moderator
  • Manic
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:50:57 AM »
If you need duplicates then yes I suppose this is useful. For those having dual SD card slots though they can create a backup on the fly. I generally don't like to spend time transferring photos and stuff during a shoot so I have no use for such a product. I create duplicates only once I am back home and have time to sort through the photos.

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »
Just read through it again..thanks for the review..i liked the way you've presented it with pics and stuff..good work dude :)

Do update the thread once you've used this for sometime or when you use it during a long trip..
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 05:21:49 PM »
Nicely done review with good amount if detail.

From a practical use point of view, this is mainly for making backups from your sdcards onto other memory (USB, hdd) correct? Any other practical use, like for example allowing an external hdd be used as a network storage device at home?
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline rishabh

• Trusted Member
  • Loyalist
    • Nazzare
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 05:27:09 PM »
Nicely done review with good amount if detail.

From a practical use point of view, this is mainly for making backups from your sdcards onto other memory (USB, hdd) correct? Any other practical use, like for example allowing an external hdd be used as a network storage device at home?

We can attach a USB pen drive, HDD or card reader to work as a NAS. Another use will be sharing the pics between different people. All devices (5 max) connected to the filehub can see the pics. Similarly one can use the device for wireless media streaming where upto 5 devices can simultaneously share and view the media attached to the filehub.

Offline Jasii

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 06:07:44 PM »
Sounds like a neat gadget bro.  Great review Rishabh!  :like:
A Year young with my DSLR and loving it.........
Gear: Canon 600d + 18-55, +55-250