Hello Guest

Author Topic: Product shoot of kids wear apparel  (Read 1589 times)

Offline akshayeakki

• Loyalist
Product shoot of kids wear apparel
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »
Hello friends, I'm going to shoot kids wear apparel for one of my friends startup ecom business,  I have only one speedlight with couple of umbrellas and one light stand.  Have got reflector too..  Thing is can I get good detailed fabric shots with 16mp sensor of nikon d5100 and the above mentioned setup?  My limitation is that I don't have proper studio lights and would be considering using 18-55 mm lens only.  I'm fairly good with post production of the images as I have done it previously for one design house.  So my only concern is getting good images in white background with above mentioned gear which would reduce my system work for more than 300 pieces.  Also I need to know if a white acrylic sheet would be suitable for the background. 
The eye should learn to listen before it looks - Robert Frank

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
Re: Product shoot of kids wear apparel
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 06:07:40 PM »
can I get good detailed fabric shots with 16mp sensor of nikon d5100 and the above mentioned setup?

The short answer is yes. A slightly longer answer would be that you'd need a slightly higher amount of skill but it can be done. Set up the flash with the umbrella at an approx angle of 45 degrees from the subject. Put the reflector on the other side. Use an aperture like f8 and then make adjustments.

So my only concern is getting good images in white background with above mentioned gear which would reduce my system work for more than 300 pieces.  Also I need to know if a white acrylic sheet would be suitable for the background. 

A white seamless fabric will serve well. Acrylic sheets will reflect light and give you spots of glare..if you can avoid that then use the sheet else use white seamless fabric. You can choose between cloth and paper ..paper is a bit more expensive and can tear easily..check what works better for you keeping budget in mind. If you cant afford the rollers and stuff then fix up the fabric using tape / clips. This fabric backdrop is available at camera stores that cater to wedding photographers/ studios
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline akshayeakki

• Loyalist
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 04:12:51 PM »
Thanks a lot ayaz for the reply,  I want to know these things :
1- should I use the flash light through the umbrella (white) or should I go for reflective umbrella (black/silver)?

2- I have to shoot the products without model or mannequin which means I'll have to put the product on a flat surface.  I was thinking to place white solid sheet /base in some angle and then place camera with tripod accordingly.  This won't be possible with fabric or white cloth background I think. 

3- what focal length to go for between 18-55 mm?

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 05:36:19 PM »
I've only used softboxes and shoot thru umbrellas so cant comment on the reflective umbrellas...

A shoot thru umbrella should suffice for your needs.. Keep it close to the subject.

You need to set up your tripod so u are not shooting at an angle... Meaning keep the sensor more or less parallel to the clothes.. Unless ur shooting at an angle because you want some creative shots. .. Anything between 35mm and 55mm should do fine.

The white cloth I mentioned will be cheaper than the acrylic sheet.. Unless its a very small sheet ur planning on buying..
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:40:34 PM by Ayaz »
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 05:42:07 PM »
Forgot to add... Figure out all settings and stuff along with test shots,  light set up etc before going in front of the client for the final shoot .. In front of the client,  even if its your friend you shouldn't come across as someone who's not sure of what to do..

Offline akshayeakki

• Loyalist
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »
Thanks for the great tips ayaz,  I'll definitely follow each one of them.  :)

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 03:42:54 AM »
To add to the great advice already given by Ayaz, I feel if you are going to be doing these shoots often, get a couple of strobe lights .... or at least another flash. Brendon was using two (or more flashes) and still finally decided to go for Elinchrom. Good lighting will be an investment which will get you more clients by word of mouth. And it will make your work easier and faster. If this is just a one-off thing, the you can easily manage with one flash and reflectors as per above hints.

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 03:49:48 AM »
Hi Guys.

I will add a few prejudiced thoughts from yesteryear, when I was Akshay's age, in fact.

If one is getting into this in a serious way he should invest in some lighting scheme that lets him see on the camera's viewing screen the image before shooting. Makes for much quicker and easier management of light, ratios, shadows, glare, flare, etc. One cannot see what a flash will do except by shooting and examining the results, and he may have to do that a number of times instead of simply adjusting to his liking through the viewfinder once.

Strobe lights with modeling lights would be fine for getting around this, but costly. Strong incandescent lamps with parabolic or hemispherical reflectors will work too. I used to shoot with 3200 K halogen lamps when I was working in a studio back in the 70s and 80s. We had strobe lighting but preferred working with halogen lights because they were on all the time.

If on a budget, a cheap but good reflector can be made by adhering crinkled aluminum foil to a sheet of cardboard with spray adhesive.  Of course, if one needs to make a "professional statement" with his equipment, he may instead want to buy purpose-made equipment.

A wider angle of view sometimes invites problems with things around the set getting into the field of view. For me, a short tele was the answer. For 6cm format I used to use about 150mm, and for 35mm format I used an 85mm or 105mm for tabletop imagemaking. Thinking in terms of the short kit zoom, I think I would lean toward the 55mm end of the range. That works out to about  83mm equivalence in "full frame" terms, right into the range of my personal prejudice.

IMO, and in thinking about your expressed application, Akshay, the D5100 and kit lens will provide far higher quality images than a customer's PC screen could ever care about.  Don't worry about the camera and lens.  As Ayaz communicated, your technique is going to be a key ingredient in your success. In the truest sense, this is going to be about the light and your sense of composition and technique.

You may be able to find some  books or websites with some useful ideas about product photography.  I have two books that I used religiously for this.  They may still be available someplace:
Professional photographic Illustration Techniques -  Kodak publication O-16 catalog no. 109 9654
Impact Photography for Advertising - William A. Reedy - Eastman Kodak -  Standard Book No. 0-87985-081-7

Best of luck with it.

:)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:21:13 AM by Hankosaurus »
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline akshayeakki

• Loyalist
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 09:08:53 AM »
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply from all of you,  it makes me confident about the planned shoot now,  I seriously need to get a set of strobe lights now,  will have to do a lot of research on this too before 3rd week of Feb when shoot is planned.  If I make this opportunity count I will be able to get my whole camera and accessories investment back with a lot more new clients :)  thanks again all for your time

Offline akshayeakki

• Loyalist
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 01:36:06 PM »
Just require your help and guidance to get a budget strobe set for myself.  I'm not sure whether what kind of lights I should go for and what softboxes ,  octaboxes etc and other diffusers etc. Specially considering the amount I will be spending.

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 01:49:55 PM »
Depends on how much you want to spend...the prices are somewhere between 5k to 35k INR depending on power output, settings available on strobes etc.

You can read Brendon's review of the strobes he recently purchased...