Hello Guest

Author Topic: Tutorial put to use  (Read 751 times)

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
Tutorial put to use
« on: September 24, 2014, 06:39:51 AM »
This is based on tutorial on lightroom.
http://www.photographyclubofindia.com/boards/index.php?topic=2840.msg29603#msg29603

I have achieved results using Rawtherapee.
Over and above what is mentioned in tutorial I have used "Graduated Filter" to darken the sky a bit.

Here is out of camera jpg
After Sunsetvooc by yndesai, on Flickr

Here is raw processed file

After Sunset by yndesai, on Flickr

Please do not forget to give feedback.
Thanks.
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
Re: Tutorial put to use
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 08:26:46 AM »
My view is that you would have got a far better output via lightroom.

Im not against free / open source software - its just that they're not good enough for post processing in terms of giving you an output thats on par with lightroom
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 08:33:51 AM »
Having said that - the output from the Raw file is obviously better than the sooc jpeg.

would suggest increasing the whites  or exposure a wee bit to make it better
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 10:24:29 AM »
My view is that you would have got a far better output via lightroom.

Im not against free / open source software - its just that they're not good enough for post processing in terms of giving you an output thats on par with lightroom

I already know that Lightroom would do a better job I have tested few files on Lightroom and Rawtherapee and found the Lightroom is more intutive and has very good noise and CA reduction modules. My using Rawtherapee is about principle. I do not use pirated software and will not pay too much money for the software which I might not be able to exploit full potential of.

I am still learning concept of PP without which using any of these softwares I will make equally bad pics.   :'(

After you pointed now I feel that the pic is a bit dark and that is not the problem of software its me who is yet to get
some hang of concept. Will redo this again over the weekend.

Till the time I feel that I am constrained with the capability of Rawtherapee I will not purchase the
Lightroom / ACraw / photoshop.

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 11:00:35 AM »
This may sound a bit odd but my suggestion ( and i honestly do this my self) is to shoot in jpeg if you dont want to spend time post processing.

But when u shoot in jpeg just make sure that you use the optimal in camera settings and are accurate in terms of exposure settings.

I would also suggest you give picassa a try - even this photo of yours..you can use the sliders in picassa to increase the white i mentioned earlier.

Offline Madhav Bhakta

• Hero
  • I love to see things from Viewfinder
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 12:13:05 PM »
My edit of Raw processed file.
Canon 7D, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM Macro, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Canon 55-250mm IS, Vivitar 28mm f2.8, Opteka 6.5mm f3.5 Fisheye Lens, Raynox DCR 250, Benro 1980F, Fancierstudio 6664 Ballhead, 4 Way Macro Rail.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_bhakt/

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 06:38:25 PM »
Thanks Madhav ji for your edit. (BTW what exactly you did I think some level/curve adjustment)

The red in sky has come to a point what I had seen and tried to reproduce.

Now the buildings are becoming a bit brighter for the scene might need to burn them.

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 06:43:22 PM »
This may sound a bit odd but my suggestion ( and i honestly do this my self) is to shoot in jpeg if you dont want to spend time post processing.

But when u shoot in jpeg just make sure that you use the optimal in camera settings and are accurate in terms of exposure settings.

I would also suggest you give picassa a try - even this photo of yours..you can use the sliders in picassa to increase the white i mentioned earlier.

RAW is my backup plan in principle I like to get it correct in camera. (this opinion is changing with your tutorials  ;) ) I can spend time on PP provided I am clear that I can come out with better result.

Picassa will be tried and I will also put this pic through GIMP (photoshop equivelant tool)