Hello Guest

Author Topic: Why i took the BIG SWITCH challenge, from Nikon to Canon  (Read 10821 times)

Offline Bharat Varma

• Loyalist
Re: Why i took the BIG SWITCH challenge, from Nikon to Canon
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2014, 01:57:01 PM »
Bharat what you are proposing is in effect a Av+Tv mode ;)
Well aperture priority with Auto Iso seems to do very close job.
In any case haven't grown very fond of auto iso so am pretty comfortable with current features.

If Aperture priority with Auto iso lets you set a minimum shutter speed, it would certainly be adequate.
I can't do that with the canon bodies that I have. I believe you can set a minimum shutter speed in auto iso on the 5D III.

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »
With the 5D Mark III, you can set the minimum shutter speed for auto ISO to between 1sec and 1/250sec.
Source: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/tipsandtricks/3284.do

Offline mannusingh

• Hero
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2014, 03:21:36 PM »
Interesting discussion. When I used my Nikon D50 which did not have the auto ISO, I had a hard time controlling the ISO with my unstabalized 300 F4 for adequate shutter speeds. But with the new Nikon generation bodies, I set the max ISO I want to go to and the minimum shutter speed and I never really need to look at that ISO button again especially when shooting wild life when light changes pretty quickly depending on where you shoot. Manually adjusting the ISO can really cost you that brilliant shot. Auto ISO is definitely a life saver in such conditions and now I just cant imagine a camera without this. I usually set my D7000 to ISO 1600 and D800E to ISO 3200 with 1/400 as my minimum shutter speed.

For general shooting when time is not such a constraint, I manually set up the ISO using 2 fingers without moving my eye off the vf something that I really have gotten used to by now. But having upgraded to new VR lenses changing ISO has gotten even rarer as I can comfortably shoot at lower ISOs without bothering too much about camera shake.

Take this image for instance which is shot at 1/15 ISO 100 with my 24-120 F4 VR, which may have needed a boost in ISO had it been an unstabalized lens. VR is indeed really helpful for keeping your ISO low.

Nikon and M4/3

Offline MayaV

• Hero
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2014, 05:09:46 PM »
Quote from: MayaV on October 24, 2014, 05:35:46 pm
 i was using Nikon then which required me to move my hand from lens and press ISO button, which was not ideal for me.

What was not ideal about moving your hand about 3 inches? I ask this seriously, as I imagine when you crawl and stop to take a pic, that your hands are infront of you holding the camera (which means you have use of both hands) and having seen the bird go into the shade, with your experience you'd have known to switch ISOs prior to framing the shot?

Vikram, might be what you are saying is true, however it was not comfortable for me. For me comfort while shooting is also important, imagine when you crawl and in one hand you have camera and the other you want to use for adjustment of camera (which i normally use for my weight balancing, so my one elbow does not hurt much).

Quote from: Hyperdrive on October 24, 2014, 07:57:38 pm

On a Nikon you can also compensate exposure w/o taking your eye off the VF...press the exposure comp. button near the shutter release and turn the command dial with the thumb. Starting May 2014 Nikon also updated their firmware to assign the movie button on the D4/D800/D800E to ISO and other functions. Want to change ISO? Again v simple, just press the button and turn the dial. :)

The REAL big disadvantage of the D800 and the D4 series is the lack of U1 and U2 settings. Selecting a custom setting thru the menu driven system is slower.

These systems (Nikon, Canon) are similar in operation w/o being direct copies. They have some minor advantages or disadvantages with respect to the other. But saying one can operate a 1 Kg camera + 1.5 Kg lens with one hand or change a setting is not an indicator of it's superiority. :) I do not believe any of the so called ergonomic advantages of the Canon system are deal makers and conversely the so called disadvantages of the Nikon system aren't deal breakers either. It's only a matter of getting used to one system or the other.

I wouldn't want to risk operating ~2.5 Kgs (D800 + 70-200 2.8 or 80-400 G) of expensive gear with one hand. :) I prefer larger cameras coz I hold them steadier due to the weight and their superior ergonomics make them easier to operate over a longer duration. Goes without saying I don't like MLC ergonomics. :)

Just my thoughts.

If you can't operate ~2.5 Kgs of expensive gear with one hand, you are a wuss.
All Canon shooters have Genghis Khan blood in them mixed with "Heart of a Lion" DNA, that's why we insist on operating "~2.5 Kgs of expensive gear" with one hand.

Damm. Think I got it wrong.
It wasn't one handed operation, it was holding the "~2.5 Kgs of expensive gear" with TWO hands and operating the controls with the right hand (only one hand, see?)..
:)

I do hope this hands on explanation has finally percolated.
Now please put both your hands together for the applause....

This is a truly HandSome thread, I must say. The OP must be rubbing his hands in glee at the way this is going....  ;D

I have a simple rule, if you cannot shoot handheld, bird photography would be very difficult. Period.

:like:
 :dislike:

Look, two hands...  ;D

Gosh! You do have a way with words don't you. So while you've been sitting on the fence commenting and waxing eloquent on the differences between Canon and Nikon, why don't you tell us the background i.e. the system you shoot (obviously Canon amongst them) to your thoughts about why you feel the way you do? It would help. :)

Trust me, Nikon users are beasts of burden and Canon users the wusses (courtesy the lower weight of lenses). Nikonians are used to carrying more weight but that comes with some advantages.

Anyways, over to you Bharat.

PS - Of course the OP is rubbing his hands in glee :)

Bharat, you mentioned twice me rubbing my hands in glee, trust me, that ain't the case, rather i would want members to bring there experience with their systems here so it helps others, i might have missed something great in a nikon system, however this thread can bring all those info here.

Bharat what you are proposing is in effect a Av+Tv mode ;)
Well aperture priority with Auto Iso seems to do very close job.
In any case haven't grown very fond of auto iso so am pretty comfortable with current features.

If Aperture priority with Auto iso lets you set a minimum shutter speed, it would certainly be adequate.
I can't do that with the canon bodies that I have. I believe you can set a minimum shutter speed in auto iso on the 5D III.

I don't understand why to use Auto ISO, where are then your photographic skills or why not Auto mode completely. I am not criticizing anyone here, however this are my thoughts. No offenses.

I think, comparison of body should be done among equals, like:

Nikon                            Canon
810                               Mark III
610                               6d
d4s                               1dx
7000                             70d
7100                             7d, 7d mk II
750                               6d
DF                                   -
3300                             1200

Cheers

Vivek

Offline Bharat Varma

• Loyalist
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2014, 06:33:36 PM »
I do hope this hands on explanation has finally percolated.
Now please put both your hands together for the applause....

This is a truly HandSome thread, I must say. The OP must be rubbing his hands in glee at the way this is going....  ;D

Vivek, I did not "mentioned twice me rubbing my hands in glee".
I mentioned it only once and then got quoted and repeated. :)

In any case, I was just having a little fun with the "hands" theme that had got started.
Nothing negative implied in any of my posts - I know very well the amount of knowledge and info that such a thread can compile. I've gained from it so often.

The Auto mode does not take away from your skills. Using it intelligently just allows you to shoot faster and surer when the window of opportunity is small (as in birding or especially birds in flight). Here we are talking about the relatively sophisticated usage of the "Auto" functions.

Offline Fake ID

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Photographers Club Of India
    • Photographers Club of India
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2014, 09:06:37 AM »

Checkmating each Other
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:23:14 AM by aHa »
Canon Gear 5D Mark III,Lens : 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II USM, 16-35mm f/4 IS USM,Extender 2x III, Elinchrom 400 FXR, Speedlite 600 EX- RT,Continous Lights, Backdrops, monopad with Manfrotto MHXPRO3W X-PRO 3-Way Head etc.
Website: www.photographersclubofindia.com - (By Invitation Only)

Offline MayaV

• Hero
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »
If this is just not a rumor, then this would be a game changer : http://nikonrumors.com/2014/11/03/nikon-d7200d9300-specifications-maybe.aspx/

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2014, 04:07:14 PM »
If this is just not a rumor, then this would be a game changer : http://nikonrumors.com/2014/11/03/nikon-d7200d9300-specifications-maybe.aspx/

In what way? I hardly see anything path-breaking in that post  ???
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline MayaV

• Hero
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2014, 05:32:24 PM »

In what way? I hardly see anything path-breaking in that post  ???

Will AF till F10 with 39 points (this means photographer can mount 2 - 1.4 TC, however IQ and sharpness wise, one needs to check)
Full HD video at 120 FPS will help a lot of smaller production house.

Cheers

Vivek