Hello Guest

Author Topic: Customs duty problem - Tripod Ball head from ebay.com  (Read 1286 times)

Offline meconfusedthinker

• Rookie
Customs duty problem - Tripod Ball head from ebay.com
« on: October 08, 2014, 03:32:42 PM »
guys, need your help...have ordered an Tripod Ball head at 20 US $ price from china seller on Ebay.com , it took more than a 1 month to reach india which i was aware of since have bought many items like filters / flash from ebay.com

Surprisingly, this time when the Postman (borivali, mumbai) bought the above said item to deliver, it bought me an Custom Duty note to pay Rs. 1600/- as duty charges & the valuation they did for the item around 4500/-, tried to argued with Postmen without any luck, hence have to returned it back and asked him if i can check with customs about valuation they did.

can you guys help me the next source of action in this regard...is their way to avoid custom charges..
Sony A580 (OVF) with Kit lens + Minolta 70-210mm F4 aka BEERCAN / Minolta AF 50mm 1.7

Offline Brendon

• Global Moderator
  • Manic
Re: Customs duty problem - Tripod Ball head from ebay.com
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 04:33:59 PM »
You can dispute the duties. Show an invoice that you paid $20. They should let it go. Ask your postman where to go. They might direct you the the Foreign post office in Town.

I had a similar problem once. Do note that no one is safe from duties. You can dispute them from time to time but there is no XYZ formula to avoid duties.

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 03:47:48 PM »
thanks guys...thats what i wanted to know if i can take them on with ebay.com invoice, am sure these customs guys valuations are beyond imaginations... will see what best i can do in this regard.. i dont mind paying custom charges on original $20 , but not on valuation of Rs. 4500...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 03:55:29 PM by meconfusedthinker »
Sony A580 (OVF) with Kit lens + Minolta 70-210mm F4 aka BEERCAN / Minolta AF 50mm 1.7

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 07:20:42 PM »
... will see what best i can do in this regard.. i dont mind paying custom charges on original $20 , but not on valuation of Rs. 4500...

Unfortunately the vast majority of people who are honest get punished for the wrongs of a few. Do one thing, take a print out of your credit card statement AND the eBay purchase confirmation email to prove the value of the consignment.

Also, please keep in mind that any and all articles/items/goods imported into the country thru any channel are subjected to Customs evaluation/assessment. This is true the world over.

Good luck.

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »
I had a similar problem once. Do note that no one is safe from duties. You can dispute them from time to time but there is no XYZ formula to avoid duties.

Post office directed me to Foreign Post office @ Ballard estate...

brendon, wanted to know from you what all documents to be carried, as of now i have following,

Post office intimation slip
Ebay.com Order details printout
Paypal.com transaction mailer printout
Took the picture of Custom Assessment form from Post office & took the printout
Bank statement of transaction printout.

guess these docs are all i have...

what you suggest as precautions dealing with them, i am visiting them on Monday.. give me ur no., will call for details...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:52:17 PM by meconfusedthinker »

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 05:08:08 PM »
hi guys, have sent a mailer to Foreign Post office regarding Reassessment of Custom Charges with all the details, here are response from them to me...

" Customs duty is charged either on declared value or assessed value based on contemporaneous import of identical goods. If one considers the customs duty charged is higher, he/she can exercise the option of reassessment available in postal mode. In this regard, he/she is requested to send the parcel, alongwith a written request, back to Mumbai Foreign Post for reassessment enclosing therewith invoice, payment details, etc. without taking the delivery of the parcel. It is always advisable to follow the instructions given on the reverse of the CN 23/ CN 22/ CP 72/ CP 71 Customs Declaration Form (see Google search) at the time of booking for the rapid clearance of the parcel. "

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 10:17:08 AM »
voilaaa.... :) :)

finally a success with the custom guys, got the reassessment done for my item... they revised the duty to Rs. 234 duty, which was earlier 1600.... ;D ;D

thank u guys..

Offline Brendon

• Global Moderator
  • Manic
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 05:22:28 PM »
Happy to know it worked out ! :)