Hello Guest

Author Topic: Little Hygrometer!  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Hot Shoe

• Hero
Re: Little Hygrometer!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 08:23:19 PM »
i box i use has a rubber gaskets and I feel it's too dry now..  25%RH

Too much silica gel by any chance ?
Nikon D7000   /// Nikkor 35mm 1.8G  50mm 1.8D   55-300mm  // Tamron 17-50 f2.8  90mm f2.8 Macro  // Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6  /// Yongnuo 460 II  560 III  /// Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT // Rollei Pro BH611

Offline Aditya Aima

• Manic
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 10:46:50 PM »
i box i use has a rubber gaskets and I feel it's too dry now..  25%RH

Too much silica gel by any chance ?
yup i think so..  will remove some
I own mostly the best that less money can buy...

Offline Aditya Aima

• Manic
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 10:47:27 PM »
Swell!  :like: :like: :like:

Ps. The 10 lt box was that procured locally or was that too bought online?
I bought at Lock n Lock store at mall.. 

Offline Fake ID

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Photographers Club Of India
    • Photographers Club of India
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 04:54:18 PM »
 Rs 397 is a bit expensive, the same model is available for 140 Rs.

Link here : http://www.ebay.in/itm/320615494733?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Canon Gear 5D Mark III,Lens : 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II USM, 16-35mm f/4 IS USM,Extender 2x III, Elinchrom 400 FXR, Speedlite 600 EX- RT,Continous Lights, Backdrops, monopad with Manfrotto MHXPRO3W X-PRO 3-Way Head etc.
Website: www.photographersclubofindia.com - (By Invitation Only)

Offline Aditya Aima

• Manic
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 10:46:42 PM »
Rs 397 is a bit expensive, the same model is available for 140 Rs.

Link here : http://www.ebay.in/itm/320615494733?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
True but I am from India, This item is in Hong Kong..  by the time it reaches me don't think it will remain 140

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 01:33:12 AM »
It's useless to order from HK where cost difference is so less and shipping times over a month.

Offline Fake ID

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Photographers Club Of India
    • Photographers Club of India
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
i have ordered many items from hongkong they all have reached me without any duty or shipping charges, except the double rapid sling which was charged a custom of 250 bucks on a 1200 rs sling.
Canon Gear 5D Mark III,Lens : 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II USM, 16-35mm f/4 IS USM,Extender 2x III, Elinchrom 400 FXR, Speedlite 600 EX- RT,Continous Lights, Backdrops, monopad with Manfrotto MHXPRO3W X-PRO 3-Way Head etc.
Website: www.photographersclubofindia.com - (By Invitation Only)

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 11:23:38 PM »
Aditya, 25% RH is too dry and will start drying out lubricants inside the lens as well.

You might want to experiment a little with the amount of silica gel till you can stabilise at around 40% RH.
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline Bharat Varma

• Loyalist
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 08:08:39 PM »
Aditya, 25% RH is too dry and will start drying out lubricants inside the lens as well.

You might want to experiment a little with the amount of silica gel till you can stabilise at around 40% RH.

I do not have any factual knowledge about this. Looking for some authoritative information.
Do modern lenses have lubricants inside?
If they do, the lubricants will probably be silicone based. Would RH have any effect on silicone based lubricants?

Offline Aditya Aima

• Manic
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 10:38:35 AM »
Yes, more info on lubricant will be beneficial

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 11:04:15 AM »
Bharat - a quick bit of googling does show that modern lenses (from 1990 onwards) do have lubricants inside the lens as well. It also gave me far more knowledge on lubricants than I think I ever want to know. The actual composition of the lubricants vary quite a bit depending on where exactly it needs to be - helicals, damping, AF motor etc etc .... ranging from Lithium based lubricants, to teflon, ceramic etc etc . I did see some warnings on "Silicone grease can react with aluminium alloys to lose its lubricant properties".....

Either way, there is a LOT of very conflicting information out there on what lubricant to use where, however a lot of sources point at lithium based lubricants (which are obviously suspended in an emulsion to vary viscosity). However, I do now know that they do NOT use organic oil-based or water-based lubricants due to separation issues. Whether a grease will separate is not so simple as lithium vs. silicone vs. teflon vs whatever ... there are different grades of lubricants used across different parts of the camera+lens and RH effects that separation as it effects the viscosity of the suspension (the emulsion).

Bottom line: Keep RH and temperature within 'normal' levels.

I do not have any factual knowledge about this. Looking for some authoritative information.
If they do, the lubricants will probably be silicone based. Would RH have any effect on silicone based lubricants?
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline Bharat Varma

• Loyalist
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 12:23:53 PM »
Bharat - a quick bit of googling does show that modern lenses (from 1990 onwards) do have lubricants inside the lens as well. It also gave me far more knowledge on lubricants than I think I ever want to know. The actual composition of the lubricants vary quite a bit depending on where exactly it needs to be - helicals, damping, AF motor etc etc .... ranging from Lithium based lubricants, to teflon, ceramic etc etc . I did see some warnings on "Silicone grease can react with aluminium alloys to lose its lubricant properties".....

Either way, there is a LOT of very conflicting information out there on what lubricant to use where, however a lot of sources point at lithium based lubricants (which are obviously suspended in an emulsion to vary viscosity). However, I do now know that they do NOT use organic oil-based or water-based lubricants due to separation issues. Whether a grease will separate is not so simple as lithium vs. silicone vs. teflon vs whatever ... there are different grades of lubricants used across different parts of the camera+lens and RH effects that separation as it effects the viscosity of the suspension (the emulsion).

Zeiss wants storage humidity level to be maintained between 60% to 30% and warns against going below 30%.
http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/website/service/fungus_on_lenses.html

Nikon also wants humidity levels below 60% (but does not mention a minimum).
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16567/~/caring-for-your-camera-equipment---part-i---proper-care-and-storage

Can't find any info for Canon.

I'll see if I can get any inputs from the local Canon & Nikon service center engineers.
Please see if you can check with your contacts in Nikon, Vikram.

Offline Aditya Aima

• Manic
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2014, 01:21:42 PM »

Zeiss wants storage humidity level to be maintained between 60% to 30% and warns against going below 30%.
http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/website/service/fungus_on_lenses.html

Nikon also wants humidity levels below 60% (but does not mention a minimum).
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16567/~/caring-for-your-camera-equipment---part-i---proper-care-and-storage

Can't find any info for Canon.

I'll see if I can get any inputs from the local Canon & Nikon service center engineers.
Please see if you can check with your contacts in Nikon, Vikram.
Thanks for the info..

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 06:39:17 PM »
As per the Nikon 24-70 2.8 service manual there are different types of greases used on different parts within the assembly.

The names are manufacturing codes or part numbers for e.g. GN20S, NKS211-SP EM60-L, I-40 OS-30MEL etc.., which give no hint to their type or viscosity. The same greases may be used in the assembly of other Nikon lenses. I imagine these would be proprietary to Nikon and unavailable to purchase.

And yes, there is no mention of minimum RH for storage in the service manual. Which may lend itself to the belief (either correctly or incorrectly) that these lubes are not affected by humidity.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:41:20 PM by Hyperdrive »