Hello Guest

Author Topic: Om beach for your appraisal  (Read 1342 times)

Offline somnath goswami

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
Om beach for your appraisal
« on: December 14, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »
For your critique regarding composition and other aspects. D600 with nikon 20 mm ais lens. ISO 50, F16 and 25 sec exposure. Tripod mounted. Place Gokarna , Om beach. Thanks in advance.

regards
Somnath

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
Re: Om beach for your appraisal
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 09:59:25 AM »
Great photo Somnath. I like the effect of long exposure with the rocks, sea & sky forming a frame of sorts. TFS :like:

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 10:00:22 AM »
I liked the exposure...25 seconds though is too long for me - for me a "long" exposure is around a few seconds.

This is more like Brendon's territory :)

Composition: Im in two minds about it...I"ve attached a crop to check: When viewed full screen i want to see those rocks on the top left but end up looking at the bottom left due to the large rock thats there
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline somnath goswami

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »
Thanks HD & Ayaz  :).

Interesting Crop Ayaz, but naturally the foreground is being cut off ... hmm  :)

Offline Bharat Varma

• Loyalist
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 12:22:43 PM »
Exposure and other technical aspects of the image are pretty good.
Perhaps a little more of the sky for a better balanced image overall?

Did you shoot any more images of this scene?

I find it difficult to get the perfect composition with a single shot reliably especially if I am shooting handheld and using the viewfinder to compose the image.
You should definitely have a look at the image in live view to judge the overall composition, especially if you are using a tripod.

Offline somnath goswami

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 01:15:35 PM »
Thanks Bharat. I have some other compositions I am sure. I will have to look for them.

I am a VF man, always I compose through it. But I confess that I have not thought enough about using live view as a composition tool. I have used live view ONLY for getting critical focus while doing macro but thanks to your suggestion I will consciously give it a go in future.

cheers
Somnath

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 04:15:22 PM »

Interesting Crop Ayaz, but naturally the foreground is being cut off ... hmm  :)

Thats exactly the point I'm trying to make - do you want me to see the greenish large piece in the foreground or do you want me to see the one on top? Cause i find that bit on top much better to look at and if I've got the greenish bit in on the bottom im caught between 2 very prominent and strong things one in the foreground and the other above it and both are rock formations.
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline somnath goswami

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 05:25:19 PM »

Thats exactly the point I'm trying to make - do you want me to see the greenish large piece in the foreground or do you want me to see the one on top? Cause i find that bit on top much better to look at and if I've got the greenish bit in on the bottom im caught between 2 very prominent and strong things one in the foreground and the other above it and both are rock formations.

I find myself between a rock & a hard place  :P

Offline Jasii

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 11:22:50 AM »
Looks like a good frame SG!  :like: even though I do not understand the finer nuances, it is water that we are looking at and here with the long exposure it no longer looks like one?
Rgds,
A Year young with my DSLR and loving it.........
Gear: Canon 600d + 18-55, +55-250

Offline Bharat Varma

• Loyalist
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 12:28:36 PM »

I find myself between a rock & a hard place  :P

Ayaz, you are the hard place and I'm the rock...  :)

See, Somnath - the reason you didn't get this image absolutely perfect was that you were being distracted by the Sigma 180 F5.6 macro lens that you possess. Actually, it possesses you and you need to get it exorcised to allow your image making skills to flower.  You probably kept thinking about how you could have used that lens for this image rather than focusing (pun intended) on the image itself.

Allow me...  ;)

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 02:12:21 PM »
:-D :-D :-D

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 04:35:04 PM »
LOL!! I got very, very surprised seeing this pic as I have one taken at the exact same spot, with probably almost the same equipment and the same EXIF information (except I tend to not use an ISO that is lower than the base ISO). Just a few changes on composition ... I've put out the vertical one, but also have the horizontal one done (not published as it's too similar to the vertical one).

Right ..... so having been at this exact same spot, I'll first tell you that you're way too close to the edge if you were shooting alone. It must be a Bengali thing as even Anirban thought it was perfectly fine to stay here alone in the receding light  :P .

I too found the long curved shore line as the perfect leading line from the bottom right to the top left thirds intersection - so that would be from the bottom left to that prominent rock (I know it's an island, but in the frame it looks like an outcrop, so I'll refer to it as outcrop).

If that's the curve and leading line, then ideally one must set up the frame so the eyes moves smoothly through that curve before they do anything else. That's where I have a few suggestions:
1. I find the foreground (the 'large piece' that Ayaz talks about), is too prominent. It tends to anchor the frame and stops the eye from moving along the red line (see attachment). To make it less prominent and yet feature as a foreground, you could have lowered the tripod to shoot from a lower angle instead of angling the camera down as you have here. You could have also made it a little darker so as to lose a little prominence.
2. I've circled another bit at the bottom right that is acting as another anchor ...
3. With such little sky on show, it seems to be putting far too much pressure on the fore and middle-ground leaving very little breathing space around the outcrop. I'd have liked to see a bit more sky to get more balance to the frame.

PS: On the live view mode as a compositional aid. I too tend to use the viewfinder to compose, but have found live view to be great for fine tuning a composition further. Found out kind of by mistake when I was using live-view as the mirror gets locked up and so do the vibrations ...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:43:31 PM by VikramF »
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline Fake ID

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Photographers Club Of India
    • Photographers Club of India
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 04:43:34 PM »
Great Pic, somnath da, TFS !
Canon Gear 5D Mark III,Lens : 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II USM, 16-35mm f/4 IS USM,Extender 2x III, Elinchrom 400 FXR, Speedlite 600 EX- RT,Continous Lights, Backdrops, monopad with Manfrotto MHXPRO3W X-PRO 3-Way Head etc.
Website: www.photographersclubofindia.com - (By Invitation Only)

Offline MayaV

• Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 04:47:51 PM »
Nice one Somnath! Thanks for the insights Ayaj and Vikram  :like:

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 05:22:50 PM »
I liked the exposure...25 seconds though is too long for me - for me a "long" exposure is around a few seconds.

This is more like Brendon's territory :)

Composition: Im in two minds about it...I"ve attached a crop to check: When viewed full screen i want to see those rocks on the top left but end up looking at the bottom left due to the large rock thats there

Ayaz - with this crop, the leading line is pretty much straight through the left thirds line and I feel it leaves the entire right hand side of the frame pretty redundant. It also disturbs the balance of the frame making me want to further crop this as a square file.
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin