Hello Guest

Author Topic: Camera Features / Functions Wishlist - What do you want in 2015?  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Sandeep

• Trusted Member
  • Manic
Re: Camera Features / Functions Wishlist - What do you want in 2015?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 08:06:10 AM »

• Real-time feedback on the display of the focus-distance. I can see that info on the EXIF file, so I know it's being measured somewhere ... why can't it be shown in the viewfinder? It would be great for setting hyperfocal distances.

XE1 does show real-time focus-distance in MF mode , albeit in form of a slider moving over a distance scale (rather than absolute values).
"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept." - Ansel Adams

Offline gautam023

• Trusted Member
  • Manic
  • Learning to fly
    • 500px
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 12:21:20 PM »
I would keep my wishlist Canon centric being a Canon user.
What I would wish for in cameras software upgrade is,

Incorporate Magic Lantern - Its only software. And nothing risky like overclocking.
I would love to have features like focus peaking, intervalometer, customising AEB for shots and EV difference.

More frame size options during videos.

The picture styles seem too outdated for me. Develop some additional options for in-camera processing of RAW. Something which can be configured in a computer and then exported back to a Camera [like Custom Picture Styles]. Few more options than the usual Contrast, Saturation, etc.

Some wishes on the hardware front would be,
A dial for ISO, as suggested by others, would be lovely. Would be of tremendous help in videos.

An option in the lens for manual aperture change like manual focus override. So we could have a de-clicked aperture ring [like Cine lenses] plus the option of changing the aperture through the dials and software as well.

Incorporate in body IS [like Sony]. Would definitely help in making lenses cheaper and more affordable. Plus the option of using old manual lenses with IS would be lucrative.

After trying a Sony A7S, I feel, Canon seriously needs to up the game at sensor level. Also, the ISO performance needs some working.

I see most of the updates coming from those who have shot film and want to replicate the film camera feel. [Had to refrain myself from calling them oldies  ;) ;)]

"Tezi gaadi mein nahi, chalanewale mein hoti hai"

500 px  |  Flickr

Offline Bharat Varma

• Loyalist
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 01:35:38 PM »
Most of my pain in getting the ultimate IQ comes from not being able to nail focus unless I am on a tripod and shooting at 10x in live view.

I don't see an ultra accurate spot focus (spot at the target, not in the viewfinder) happening anytime soon, so how about some high quality Focus bracketing?
If I can shoot 10 fps, why can't I have each frame vary target focus by an increment that I can specify?
Add in-camera focus stacking to this for even better effect.

Canon and Nikon - How about a magnified picture-in-picture overlaid within optical viewfinders on DSLR bodies? Else Sony will soon have your lunch (and breakfast and dinner and snacks in between). Seeing Canon lenses fully functional (aperture control, AF, IS) with a cheap third party adapter on the Sony A7R was something of a revelation. Sony may not even have to make it's own high end lenses if they speed up the AF and make it more usable. Lenses are probably the only thing holding people back from Sony (other than the fact they once wanted to plant rootkits on your personal computers - but most people have very short memories).

Universal chargers would be absolutely wonderful. Respect the environment, guys.

Offline Brendon

• Global Moderator
  • Manic
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 02:48:03 AM »
I really wish manufacturers would give us far more reliable AF. Not faster so much but reliable.

A rather large percentage of photos are OOF which shouldn't be the case in this day and age.

And this is with a good body like a 5d mk 3.

Also I need smaller and lighter cameras. After using my small Sony bodies going to a heavier body like a Canon 5d mk 3 is a pain in the hands !

Smaller and ligher is something I appreciate.

And yes touchscreens are good but we also need buttons. More buttons please !!!

100% viewfinder should be standard now. Nothing below this please.

And yes please do more research on EVFs. They are improving a lot but lately they have stagnated a bit.

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 11:06:12 PM »
OOF shots with Mkiii? Since when you shifted to MkIII? Also I have found MkIII AF one of the best. Which lenses are you using?

As for requirements, Canon needs to beg/borrow/cheat on sensors and get DxO ratings up so Octamod can stop quoting DxO :D

Offline naturecloseups

• Mentor
  • Rookie
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 11:05:24 AM »
A few things on my (wild) wishlist

1. All camera manufacturers (or for that matter consumer electronics equipment manufacturers) should offer a trade-in recycle program. It's about time.

2. Global shutter (or at least EFCS) becoming more standard offering on all bodies

3. Fuji bring back the honeycomb layout of SuperCCD. Or forget about HD movie recording and bring back SuperCCD. And rein in your EXR adventures and present some Bayer/"Foveon-like" options, its not the silver bullet you were probably hoping it to be.

4. Somebody (OEM) please track down and buy patents/design IP rights for Vivitar 135/2.8 Close Focus, Tokina 90/2.5 macro, Sigma 180/5.6 Macro and Kiron 105/2.8 Macro  -- then re-release with ED elements and nano crystal coating. Cosina Voigtlander / Zeiss could probably do it if they were keen. And restart manufacturing of Voigtlander APO Makro 125/2.5

5. Sigma continue to give Zeiss a run for their money with your "Art" series lenses

6. And for Sony -- more E/FE mount *non-redundant* lenses please.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 11:12:05 AM by naturecloseups »

Offline PixelHunter

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Learning something new everyday..
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 12:11:49 PM »
My small wish list (knowing fully well that camera manufacturers won't give a damn)-

1.As a new Sony user, more good prime lenses for the E mount.
2. Manufactures should stop screwing customers by deliberately crippling their models only to release a new model with the deficiencies corrected within a year so that customers would cough up more money.
3. Focus peaking in DSLRs. After using it in NEX 6, I will miss it sorely in DSLRs for Manual focusing. Makes manual focusing so much easy and fun.
4.WiFi built in every new model. Thus is 2015 and this is not really asking much.
5. Proper weather sealing. Don't make cameras which can't be used in a slight drizzle, or in slight dust. If I need a camera that only sits in a cabinet , I would rather buy something else.

And finally, I would like Leica to realise that there are people in the world who don't have millions of dollars to throw away for camera equipments  :P
"The best camera is the one that's with you" Chase Jarvis

Offline Brendon

• Global Moderator
  • Manic
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 06:40:26 PM »
OOF shots with Mkiii? Since when you shifted to MkIII? Also I have found MkIII AF one of the best. Which lenses are you using?

As for requirements, Canon needs to beg/borrow/cheat on sensors and get DxO ratings up so Octamod can stop quoting DxO :D

Ha ha doc you seem really surprised ! Well I have shot over 20k photos with a 5d mk 3 already over a few weddings and Kunnal shoots with a 5d mk3 and I process his photos so I know how many come OOF.

It happens in low light. Not so much in good light. My Sony cameras are a bit worse in that respect but not a huge way off. The 5d mk 3 of course focuses faster in low light. And we used multiple lenses like 70-200mm f2.8 mk 2, Canon 24-70mm f2.8 mk 2, 85mm f1.2 L, 35mm f1.4 L.

Faced focus misses with each and every lens but less with the 24-70mm f2.8 lens mainly because of the larger DOF.

@All - Oh yeah forgot about the weather sealing. Make all new lenses weather sealed or at least resistant.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 06:42:04 PM by Brendon »

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 07:04:37 PM »
It happens in low light. Not so much in good light.

That's true. I've never used a 5D3 but as per user reports/reviews the Canon AF system falters a bit in low light while the Nikon AF system performs better. In good light the Canon AF system is as fast as any other out there.

There's more to read on this topic on the Internet.

PS - To add, maybe this has been fixed in newer firmware releases. But there are fewer topics on low light AF issues nowadays than there were when the camera was released.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 07:15:29 PM by Hyperdrive »

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 07:46:03 PM »
Real Man use manual focus - ancient chinese proverb
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline mannusingh

• Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »
Real Man use manual focus - ancient chinese proverb
Yes true. But I find modern DSLRs a pain to use for MF. I have a Yashica FX-3 with a split screen focus screen and a huge and I mean huge VF. I won't mind MF lenses with a such a brilliant VF and a split focusing screen but I find today's modern DSLRs a pain to use. The best I have used is a D800E, but I still find it grossly inadequate.
Nikon and M4/3

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 08:51:13 PM »
Modern DSLRs even high end FF models are optimised for AF not MF. In fact up until the D700 we had options of using a Katzeye or other 3rd party focussing screen. With the D800/D4 onwards focus screen options have ceased to exist (AFAIK). Guess the situation is much the same in the Canon camp.

There's a noticeable difference when I recall my F5's VF to the D4. The F100 is pretty good but it's not a 100% coverage VF. Up until the late 90s cameras had MF friendly focus screens. Unfortunately no more.

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 10:24:05 PM »
Ayaz you'll be happy to know added one MF lens to my collection today.
Now that I have focus peaking on MkIII it's much easier for my aging eyes. :)

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 01:51:33 AM »
Real Man use manual focus - ancient Chinese proverb
:D :D
Yes true. But I find modern DSLRs a pain to use for MF. I have a Yashica FX-3 with a split screen focus screen and a huge and I mean huge VF. I won't mind MF lenses with a such a brilliant VF and a split focusing screen but I find today's modern DSLRs a pain to use. The best I have used is a D800E, but I still find it grossly inadequate.
I had the same impression when I got the D700 a few years ago.  MF is manageable with a D700, but it is far better with classic Japanese MMM SLR.  It's not hard to understand how it is that one who did not grow up with one of those would today believe that MF is a hopeless endeavor.
Ayaz you'll be happy to know added one MF lens to my collection today.
Now that I have focus peaking on MkIII it's much easier for my aging eyes. :)
What's that, Doc?  Is it like the little green focus confirmation LED in Nikon dSLRs?  In my camera that light seems to agree with my best effort to manual focus most of the time.

:)
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2014, 09:05:04 AM »
What's that, Doc?  Is it like the little green focus confirmation LED in Nikon dSLRs?  In my camera that light seems to agree with my best effort to manual focus most of the time.

In Sony A58 (and may be others too) or using CHDK with my Canon P&S the focus peaking is function which higlight the borders of parts in focus with red or yellow colour to help user. It happens in LED display and EVF.

My favorite function during manual focus.
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)