Hello Guest

Author Topic: A bit of horsing around  (Read 1053 times)

Offline somnath goswami

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
A bit of horsing around
« on: January 01, 2015, 10:18:02 AM »
Please give your valuable critique ... thanks in advance  :)

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
Re: A bit of horsing around
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 10:13:50 AM »
Hi Somnath.

Such stunning views you have shared from that area.  I love this one for several reasons.  I love horses.  Those horses and their apparent affection for one another, their placement and strength as elements in the frame, how it is that they lend a sense of scale and depth that is seemingly almost infinite.  As one who studied geology a little at university, I am fascinated by how it is that the strata edges are laying sideways on the mountains.  As if prehistory is opening its books for examination by those who care to understand. 

That dark sky is striking.  It reminds me of my having used an orange or red filter with black and white film long ago.  Maybe it's also because of the high altitude where you were.  Is that right?

Anyway, and by way of a possible improvement, the white cloud formation at upper left seems, to me, to have an unnatural quality whereby the tonal gradation is missing.  The tones seem to go from one shade of gray/white to another abruptly, almost as if "painting by the numbers."  I think I would find a more gradual transition between the tones within the cloud formation more convincing.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful image.  Was it cold there?  What time of year?

:)
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline somnath goswami

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 11:13:42 AM »
Hi Henry,

Thanks for the kind words and detailed critique. This image was made on the road to Nubra Valley and the sky was deep deep blue. The altitude should be around 4000 meters, give or take a couple of hundred here or there .Yes it was very cold for my "Kolkata-tempered" skin, though the month was August, a month in which cold is supposed to be much less biting  :P. It was also very very windy.

I have used yellow filter in Silver-effex Pro to darken the sky a bit further.

I will work on the tonal aspect of the white cloud soon  & will post the result.

:)

PS : I have fallen in love with the place. I have bought tickets to go there, again this year for the first 10 days of September. May God be kind  :)

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:49:09 PM »
Fantastic shot Somnath. The scale is perfect as is the balance in the frame. If I had to redo one thing, it would be the processing on the clouds .. a little too 'blocky'.

... As one who studied geology a little at university, I am fascinated by how it is that the strata edges are laying sideways on the mountains.  As if prehistory is opening its books for examination by those who care to understand. 

I've said this many times: Geology students MUST visit the Ladakh region. As I'm sure you know, the collision of the subcontinent with Asia threw up the Himalayas with the force of the collision and as it continues to push against the main Asiatic land-mass, the Himalayas continue to grow. This upwelling of the strata is absolutely mind-boggling when you see it live and in color - you have some mountains that are green, some black flecked with light brown bits, I saw a lot of purple(ish) mountains too. It is straight out of a sci-fi movie.
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline g2

• Loyalist
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 03:18:26 PM »
Really is a beautiful shot, cloud could use a bit of reprocessing to avoid the white patches.

Try reducing the space below the horses, removing the slightly dark path in the lower grass works better for me.

Do you have a coloured version as well?

Offline somnath goswami

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 10:59:24 AM »
Thanks G2 points taken about the cloud and will tweak. Actually this iamge is just as I saw in the VF, no crop at all and that is what I really cherished. Cropping the lower part a bit may create a change in balance. I will give it a go though.

I am yet to process a color one. Most probably will keep it BW though the colors were quite attractive.

cheers
Somnath

Offline drgap

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »
the heterogeneous appearance of the mountains give life to the whole picture

the white cloud is bit distracting.

lovely feel

btw, do u have any pano or landscape oriented picture of this area...

Offline dashillol

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Learner by Choice
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 12:12:42 PM »
It is a wonderful photo Somnath. The 'diagonal' slope of the mountain is working extremely well, IMO. The cloud blob against the dark sky is too contrasty, which is a small negative part of the shot, IMO again. Overall, very nice. :)

A Nikon lover with few glasses, Nikon and Yongnuo speedlights, Benro tripod with ball-head and a few Hoya/Nikon/Marumi/Griffin filters