Hello Guest

Author Topic: Islands in the stream.........  (Read 745 times)

Offline Jasii

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
Islands in the stream.........
« on: January 20, 2015, 11:47:01 AM »
Had posted this earlier, on suggestions from friends, did a wee bit of processing, cropped some of the fg, added some punch by way of enhanced sharpness and contrast. Like I mentioned earlier, It was the FG that was the point of interest, however, I have tried to balance the pic here. This was made on way to Khalsar during my 2014 Ladakh trip and reminds me of  of my childhood song by the evergreen maestro "Kenny Rogers". Here goes..........

Islands in the stream,
That is what we are,
No one in between,
How can we be wrong,
Sail away with me,
To another world ..................

Cheers n keep the critique flowing!!!  ;) ;) ;)

Ladakh 2014 Khalsar by jasiiboss, on Flickr
A Year young with my DSLR and loving it.........
Gear: Canon 600d + 18-55, +55-250

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
Re: Islands in the stream.........
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 01:41:43 PM »
The Good News: This is pretty decent pic.

The Bad News: This pic isn't going to win awards

The Best News: Having followed your photography since the day you joined, I can definitely say that your work has been among the most improved in the past year. Undoubtedly, you have worked hard at understanding feedback when detailed feedback has been given and have channeled it back into your photographs.

As you've asked for a critique by posting it in this section, I do need to provide a critique as well (what I like, what I don't like, what I think could be done differently).

1. The first thing that makes me feel this is a 'pretty decent pic' is that it's got depth and it's got an implied line that draws my eye in. I've marked that line with the red mark and to me that line leads me to that mountain which is the main subject of the picture.

2. Having made that mountain the main subject, I'm left a little distracted by the yellow bits (marked with 2). I feel the mountain to the left pulls my eye a little to that side and that the banks of the river cause a similar distraction on the bottom left. Since we can't move mountains, I am left wondering if this was a better shot vertically to isolate the main subject, while still using the river bed and the banks of the river as leading lines to the main subject.

3. A vertical composition would also address the void made by the water in the area circled in blue (3). It's a large empty area in the foreground and therefore doesn't allow ones eyes to sweep up the red line as smoothly as they could.

That's my critique. I think I know where this was taken, so I'm not sure if a vertical shot would have been possible due to the parking/building just below this frame. Though I suspect if you'd gone to the very edge, it might have been possible.
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline Jasii

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 04:23:49 PM »
Yes Sir! Suggestions are hereby noted.  :)
I do have a vertical compo too, let me see if I can dig it out.
You gladden my heart no end for labeling my amateurish attempt as " Decent" :P
And last but not the least :  " You are a Hero to me"  ;)

Cheers!

Offline Jasii

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »
Vertical compo attached. Vikram does it make any sense?

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 05:50:03 PM »
Vertical comp is much, much, much better. It's exactly how I think I would have composed it - nice strong curved line leading right the the mountain.

Just that the processing needs to be redone to bring out the composition a little more. It's a little overexposed and I'm not sure why there is a slight magenta cast in the clouds (perhaps a little too aggressive with the curves tool?). Just work a little on the processing (remember small steps in processing to make incremental changes - nothing drastic in a single step).

Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin