Hello Guest

Author Topic: Windows 10 on the horizon ........ and it is legally FREE !!!  (Read 856 times)

Offline Hot Shoe

• Hero
Yesterday, I observed that the taskbar on my PC had a new icon. I'm sure many of you with legal versions of Windows 7 or 8 saw the same thing.

Clicking on the icon took me to a whole lot of details about how we'll be getting the absolutely FREE version of Windows 10, the new OS which is supposed to be a combo of the best features of Windows 7 and 8. The installation will take place automatically towards the end of July this year.

Anyway let's see how this new OS will serve us.  :)
Nikon D7000   /// Nikkor 35mm 1.8G  50mm 1.8D   55-300mm  // Tamron 17-50 f2.8  90mm f2.8 Macro  // Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6  /// Yongnuo 460 II  560 III  /// Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT // Rollei Pro BH611

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
Re: Windows 10 on the horizon ........ and it is legally FREE !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 09:53:33 AM »
Hello Vinod.

I got that offer and it downloaded.  Mine upgraded from 8.1 to 10.  It's been running since later summer.

I only had one surprise.  As a child process to Windows, I am running an Oracle Virtual Machine with Fedora 21 Linux on it.  My Linux did not like Windows 10 until I downloaded a new version of Oracle Virtual Machine.  Once that upgraded, Windows 10 had no trouble with my original installation of Linux.

I wonder if others have done this upgrade and what their opinions of it might be.

Happy Day.
:)
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 02:01:17 PM »
I am not sure I will attempt to upgrade as
I might need to back up lot of data...

How was your experience did the upgrade process
damage any of files on C:\ partition.?
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 11:04:43 AM »
Hi Yagnesh.

Not sure who you are addressing.  The upgrade didn't harm anything on "drive C" as far as I can tell. 

That problem with Oracle was simply that Oracle VM didn't know how to talk to Windows 10 to open the Virtual Machine and spawn the Linux running within Oracle VM.  The Oracle upgrade fixed the hooks that made that opening possible.  Nothing appears to be different since the upgrade.  Everything is running as before, as far as I can tell.

Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 11:20:13 AM »
Not sure who you are addressing.  The upgrade didn't harm anything on "drive C" as far as I can tell. 
Thanks for input. I may take the leap of faith.
Just wondering you are using oracle for what purpose?

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 11:42:48 AM »
Hello again, Yagnesh.

I am using a product made by Oracle called "Oracle VM VirtualBox."  "VM" means "virtual machine."

I grew up in a UNIX environment using System V Release 3, which came out sometime before the Dead Sea was even sick.  So, I feel more comfortable with UNIX than in the more popular Windows environments.  UNIX is far less "mysterious" to me.  I never know what Windows is up to.

Oracle's Virtual Machine allows me to run a modern day UNIX on my Windows 10 machine.   I chose "Fedora 21 Linux."  From Window's perspective, it just sees Oracle VM as just another program.  From Linux's perspective, it sees Windows as nothing more than the box it's sitting in, so it looks and feels like a UNIX machine from my perspective, until I shut down Linux and the Oracle Virtual Machine software.  Then it falls back to Windows.  Windows sees the whole affair as just another child process.

If for some reason I decide I don't like Windows 10, I will blow it away and put Linux on this machine.  The new Linux implementations are that good as far as I am concerned.  But so far, no complaints.   I have two other PC's and they both run Linux only.

Happy Day.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:46:04 AM by Hankosaurus »
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 10:18:27 AM »
I grew up in a UNIX environment using System V Release 3, which came out sometime before the Dead Sea was even sick.  So, I feel more comfortable with UNIX than in the more popular Windows environments.  UNIX is far less "mysterious" to me.  I never know what Windows is up to.

I like to use linux in dual boot mode so that it can take advantage of all the resources in my system.
I use ubuntu lunux from my 8GB USB drive. With Linux you seem to start becoming advance user over time but with
windows every new version makes you novice searching for buttons.

But since this new windows boot manager have come it takes changing BIOS settings every time I want to enable booting from USB.

My favorite PP tool is GIMP which is working fine on both windows and linux so happy in both the environment.