Hello Guest

Author Topic: Kit lens AF Busted. Which lens to buy next  (Read 1163 times)

Offline arunsekhar1

Kit lens AF Busted. Which lens to buy next
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:08:12 AM »
Hello everyone!

I realize this is my first post here and looking for some advice. I have a canon 1100d that Ive been using on my trips/ travel with a 18 55 kit lens for almost 3 years. Unfortunately the AF on the lens started acting up during the past few months.

Now I am looking to buy another lens which can complement it. I have the following options. Please help me evaluate:

1. Buy a all purpose tamron 18 200 for 13k and throw away the kit lens. Advantage - all purpose lens! compromise - image quality
2. Adjust with manual focus of 18 55 and buy a canon 55 250 for 9k and use both lenses. Advantage - image stabilisation.. compromise - the focal range and no AF from 18-55
3. get a canon 24mm prime for 9k and use it with kit lens. Advantage - best image quality. compromise - zoom.

I realize that these 3 are completely different categories, but I am really confused where to head next as the only lens Ive ever used is 18-55.. please guide me!!!

About me- I really like travelling and taking pictures of landscape, architecture, horizon, nature etc. I also take quite a few portraits.

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
Re: Kit lens AF Busted. Which lens to buy next
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 07:32:06 AM »
Think also of a faster kit replacement like Tamron 17-50 2.8.

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 09:06:48 AM »
If you intend using the 18-55 lens check if it can be repaired (it should) and for how much. Take the next steps based on the service centre's feedback. If it is expensive you may as well opt for a new lens. Let me say that using MF is a bit difficult given the small viewfinder in your camera but with a bit of patience and experience you can get by.

Offline arunsekhar1

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 02:33:11 PM »
Thank you for the replies :)

I considered the Tamron 17 - 50 but it is out of the budget for me.

I am getting use to the Manual focus of the kit 18 55 but then again in the shots, I am never sure if the subject is focused properly.

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 03:58:22 PM »
If VF is calibrated or you use live view you can be sure.

Offline mannusingh

• Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 07:49:53 PM »
If you intend using the 18-55 lens check if it can be repaired (it should) and for how much. Take the next steps based on the service centre's feedback. If it is expensive you may as well opt for a new lens. Let me say that using MF is a bit difficult given the small viewfinder in your camera but with a bit of patience and experience you can get by.

Unfortunately HD these kit lenses are not designed to be repaired. For the amount that you pay for their repair one can get a new one. I tried to get mine repaired I was advised to just throw it away.

@The OP: Its just too difficult to use MF on these and you are better off buying a new one. BTW that 24mm will be 24X1.6 on a canon crop sensor, not too wide IMHO.
Nikon and M4/3

Offline arunsekhar1

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 05:52:16 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I finally bought 2 lenses:

1. Canon 55 250 IS II

2. Canon 50mm STM

and hopefully I will get my kit 18 55 repaired as I don't think it is a major problem. The AF works sometimes and sometimes, there is a circle on the bottom right which blinks. I think it could be a technical issue...

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 01:40:52 PM »
and hopefully I will get my kit 18 55 repaired as I don't think it is a major problem. The AF works sometimes and sometimes, there is a circle on the bottom right which blinks. I think it could be a technical issue...

Congrats on the new lenses.

Not sure what the blinking circle is.

The symptoms you describe could be due to dirty/soiled contacts on the lens or body, or even a failing USM motor. If you are familiar with electronics maintenance then take some isopropyl alcohol, a soft lint free cloth. Moisten a portion of the cloth with the IPA (should be wet but not dripping the fluid) and clean the contacts on the body and lens. Wait for the IPA to dry and try your luck again.

Let the service centre inspect the lens and give you an approx cost. The kit lens can be repaired in most cases, and if the SC confirms so, the only thing you need to decide on is if the cost is acceptable to you.

Offline arunsekhar1

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 06:30:26 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried cleaning the contacts, but still the AF works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. But I am getting a hang of Manual focus pretty well so..  :)

Offline vyavaharesd

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 12:01:19 AM »
get your kit repaired it hardly cost 1000-1200 in canon service center here in pune this kit lens have problem with that fpc, when replaced it works fine, also try to rotate the zoom rings to both ends until you hear a katkat sound, if you hear the auto focus gets back to normal.

Offline husains

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 09:57:47 AM »
Well you can always repair the KIT lense as its a cheaper option but if you are planning for an upgrade in the back of your head I would recommend 18-135 Canon lense as it will suffice all your needs.