Hello Guest

Author Topic: Some Macros!  (Read 770 times)

Offline kumarrishi

• Rookie
Some Macros!
« on: December 20, 2015, 11:42:46 PM »
Some macros for critique.

The catterpillar

The hopper portrait

Crimson and green

warm regards
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:31:55 AM by kumarrishi »

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
Re: Some Macros!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:42:35 AM »
Hi Rishi.

For some reason, I'm partial to the grasshopper.  It's so much more common to shoot insects sideways so as to manage the paper thin depth of field, but here it seems not to matter.   The viewer's eyes are drawn to the grasshopper's eyes instantly.  I think the OOF triad of white flowers and the stems which form the triangle into which the bug is situated help with the overall effect.

How did you light the caterpillar?  Flash?  Colorful little fella.  Any special optics from your arsenal in these images? 

Thanks for sharing.

:)
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline kumarrishi

• Rookie
Re: Some Macros!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 02:38:58 PM »
Hi Rishi.

For some reason, I'm partial to the grasshopper.  It's so much more common to shoot insects sideways so as to manage the paper thin depth of field, but here it seems not to matter.   The viewer's eyes are drawn to the grasshopper's eyes instantly.  I think the OOF triad of white flowers and the stems which form the triangle into which the bug is situated help with the overall effect.

How did you light the caterpillar?  Flash?  Colorful little fella.  Any special optics from your arsenal in these images? 

Thanks for sharing.

:)

Totally missed your comments Henry

I knew the DOF here is not of everybody's liking but the pattern also interested me. I used a small flash to light the insects, with good diffusion. Used just the 12-50 Oly mft with Raynox.

Thanks