Hello Guest

Author Topic: Monopod confusion  (Read 651 times)

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
Monopod confusion
« on: February 12, 2016, 03:23:34 PM »
I was looking for a monopod for my 2kg lens.
I watched this video which recommends monopod with ball-head to be used by mounting cam from side. Which I feel is taxing on the ball-head but very stable setup to use.

I came across these two
1. Simpex 9kg capacity weighing 1.5kg

2. Slik lighty pod 200 4.9Kg Capacity weighing 380g

Lastly one with good height and low weight is with pan head (they confirmed that head can be replaced)
3.  Digitek DMP-61

I wanted to opt for the lighter version (since in heat of moment lens might lift the monopod   :) ) but am not sure if it will be able to take the 2kg as overhanging load.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:47:21 PM by yndesai »
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)

Offline joethephotographer

• Rookie
Re: Monopod confusion
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 08:57:33 AM »
Have you considered the Sirui? They appear to offer an Aluminium version for about 4k INR and a carbon fibre version for about 8K INR (without any head of course). :)

May I ask why do you feel the need to get a monopod?

I ask because I too wanted to get a monopod some time back (the 1100D+batterygrip+400 5.6 felt really heavy in the beginning). I have a Manfrotto tripod (with a pan head) so thought I'd try and use that in the field and see if that makes things easier.

It did make certain things easier (you can rest the camera on it if you're waiting for some action to happen, video quality is infinitely better compared to hand holding). But if you're on the tripod and the action is happening in an awkward angle then you have to unmount the camera and take the shot - this delay can result in missed shots. Not to mention wild critters don't like sudden movements. :)

So, in the end I dropped the idea altogether. Adjusting the height, mounting/unmounting the camera, changing the angle, etc frequently would've made things difficult.

Although a ball head may make things easier in this particular use case, but the other "problems" would still exist.

So, depending on your shooting style avoiding a monopod may be better.
"You know you're getting serious about photography when you stop attaching a lens to your camera and start attaching a camera to your lens" - Not Me

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 04:18:27 PM »

May I ask why do you feel the need to get a monopod?

Mainly I use Tammy 150-600 weighing 1.9kg which is really taxing my left elbow.
(am I talking  tennis elbow in photography.  :P ) Holding it for 3hrs is just too much.

With birds I need to lock focus and wait for some action where it is too difficult handhold.
I tried tripod in field but it adds more nuisance than help. I had in mind using it as a hip pod

Offline joethephotographer

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »
 :D The halfpod technique looks interesting!

If you haven't purchased a monopod yet, I would strongly recommend staying away from digitek, simplex, etc.

If you have a head that you can "transplant" from your tripod then perhaps getting a basic Manfrotto or Vanguard (at least you're assured of the quality).

You can try checking out Manfrotto 679B, 680B or 681B - all of them are available between 3.5k - 5.5k range (excluding head) and should support a 10 Kg load.
"You know you're getting serious about photography when you stop attaching a lens to your camera and start attaching a camera to your lens" - Not Me

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 05:39:33 PM »
:D The halfpod technique looks interesting!

If you haven't purchased a monopod yet, I would strongly recommend staying away from digitek, simplex, etc.

Thanks for reply.

I am yet to get my monopod. My final choice is Vanguard ESPOD AM 233 but not available in stock. Will wait till
stock arrives.