Author Topic: Battery Surprise  (Read 711 times)

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
Battery Surprise
« on: February 28, 2016, 11:52:58 AM »
Hi Guys.

Several days ago I headed out of the house with a dSLR loaded with what I thought was a charged battery.  I had removed the camera's battery and put it onto the charger, and replaced it with what I thought was another recently charged battery.

I had in mind to take a snapshot about fifty miles away.  When I got there, I discovered that the camera was showing "Err" on the LCD when I pressed the shutter release, and would not record an image.  It was as if it stopped midway in the shot, lifting the mirror but not dropping it... as if it were a "B" time delay shot or somesuch.  A second click a few seconds later would cycle it through and drop the mirror again.  But no image went to the CF card.  I re-seated the CF card. No difference. I cleaned the terminals on the lens and lens mount.  No difference.  And that other, freshly charged battery was 50 miles away.

I looked at the display and it said the battery had about 2/3 charge.  So, I was thinking all the way home that I had a camera problem.

Thankfully I was wrong.  When I got home I put the freshly charged battery into the camera and BINGO.  Everything was fine again.  I charged the troubled battery and noticed that it would not take a full charge.  Bad cell in the string.  I came to the conclusion that the failed battery had enough power to make all the displays and controls appear to work, but it did not have enough power under load to make an exposure happen.

Moral:  Take nothing for granted.  Verify your gear's operation before you head out. And take a spare, freshly charged battery when you do.

How happy I was to learn that my dSLR had not taken ill in its sixth year of life.

:)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:40:42 PM by Hankosaurus »
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline Prabir

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • There is more to it than the eyes can see.
Re: Battery Surprise
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:51:37 AM »
A very valuable advice! Thanks a lot for that.
We ignore such things quite often and take things for granted.
Nikon Stable - D810, 24-120mm f4 VR, 18-35mm, 70-300mm VR,200-500mm f5.6 VRII, 35mm f2D
Canon Stable - EOS-M5, 50mmf/1.4, Helios 58/2 M42
Olympus Stable - OMD-EM5 II, various lenses
And a lot of friends
Watch me at http://www.pbase.com/prabir2011
Watch me also at https://www.flickr.com/photos/pkbhat