Hello Guest

Author Topic: How can the photograph be improved upon  (Read 586 times)

Offline sulakshana

How can the photograph be improved upon
« on: April 06, 2016, 10:31:39 AM »
Hi,

This is my first post here. I'm and amateur in photography. In fact I've just started dabbling with my DSLR and yet to familiarize myself with all it's features. I want your inputs for the photograph below.

This was taken one foggy January morning around 7:30 am in Calcutta. I was standing on the banks of a lake and when I looked across to the other bank I saw this layer of fog between the trees on the other side. It was eerie and mesmerizing at the same time. That's what I've tried to capture here. However, I'm not quite satisfied with the outcome. Your inputs will be highly appreciated.

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
Re: How can the photograph be improved upon
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 10:49:16 AM »
Welcome to PCI Sulakshana;

You have described the scene better in words which will help someone give input.
You might get some inputs from senior here however I am giving my inputs

Considering our area of interest to be foggy background I would crop the shot to make it a prominent
part of the frame.

So Step one I cropped the click.

Lights of early mornings and late evenings are really good to watch but hard to capture considering
low intensity. This makes metering and White balance difficult. Since you had bright water and sky in the frame
your metering did not go the way you wanted. You can read on in camera metering modes for this. 
In this case the white balance has gone towards red this can be corrected effectively in post processing
if you have a raw file. Some attempt on jpg file can also be done.

Step two I just adjusted colours by reducing red and adding a bit of brightness and contrast.

Hope you like the result.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:52:00 AM by yndesai »
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)

Offline sulakshana

Re: How can the photograph be improved upon
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:47:05 PM »
Hey thanks very much. That helped a lot. Will read up on metering.