Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hasselblad Focussing Screens  (Read 977 times)

Offline Arindam Ghosh

• Rookie
Hasselblad Focussing Screens
« on: January 19, 2014, 02:06:50 AM »
Hello!
I have quite a weak eyesight since my childhood. The problem is, these days I am finding it a bit difficult focussing with the standard screen on my 500cm. I was searching for alternatives on the net and understood there is a brighter acute matte screen available. But the prices are absurdly high.
I would like to ask fellow hasselblad users here if they are aware of any cheaper alternatives? (I don't think putting up a new WTB post is going to be of any help in this matter)
Thanks & regards.
Arindam Ghosh

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
Re: Hasselblad Focussing Screens
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:31:15 AM »
Hello Arindam.

Is the issue focus or brightness? Are you aware of the focusing chimney finder from Hasselblad? Could you borrow one and see if it helps? Contrast on the pop-up finder is quite good, in my experience. However, as I got older, it was hard for me to focus using it. The chimney has adjustable diopter, 3.5 to -2.5 diopters, IIRC.

Do you wear glasses?

Good luck solving it.

:)
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline Arindam Ghosh

• Rookie
Re: Hasselblad Focussing Screens
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »
Hello, sir.
Thank you for the reply. I was starting to think I am the only one facing this problem here! There are no issues with focusing. The problem is with brightness. When shooting outside in daylight, at times it gets very difficult to see unless I stick my eyes to the magnifier. I wear spectacles of almost -6 diopters.
The issue with systems like Hasselblad is that since they are not targeted at a broad consumer base, the market for their accessories is very limited in places like India, as compared to that of a Nikon or Canon. I was even thinking of trying the cheap copy available on EBay, but then again customs related issues made me think twice.
Again, since the number of people using a Hasselblad are also very few, it is usually a pain to find someone to discuss and share equipments. Let's see if I can find someone having a chimney finder.
Regards.