Hello Guest

Author Topic: Fascination with Leica M  (Read 4263 times)

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
Re: Like a Leica M?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 04:36:17 PM »
Yes, there's a whole lot more to the debate, but this statement made me crack up:

" Thankfully, the fact that some people buy it for status is wholly unknown to the Leica. It just does what it does."

Here're a couple of ads from Leica back in the 50s where they talk about a "Discriminating photographer", the heritage of the camera and "Get the best camera" - both these ads are clearly targeting "status". And I don't blame them. The ads are good and work very well imho as a marketeer. However, to think that Leica isn't aware and isn't exploiting their status is just funny.

And this is today (I don't feel the need to say anything more on Status:Leica):
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline Leicaphilia

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 06:03:08 PM »
Henry,

Just found your thoughts on this forum and the link to my  leicaphilia website.

I think your initial post here is worth a repeat on my website. I'm always looking for the experiences of people like you, who've grown up photographically with Leica Ms. I think we have to fight the idea that Leicas were only ever a luxury good instead of a damn fine camera that still works with a minimum of fuss.

So, I'm offering you to share your experiences on leicaphilia.com. Let me know! T

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 01:15:43 AM »
Greetings, Vikram.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and those ads. 

Yes, there's a whole lot more to the debate, but this statement made me crack up:

" Thankfully, the fact that some people buy it for status is wholly unknown to the Leica. It just does what it does."

Yes, there has always been a special place in my heart for great cameras which do not have a mind of their own.

And this is today (I don't feel the need to say anything more on Status:Leica):

Amazing how that a camera introduced sixty years ago is so famous that it can be wrapped in exotic coverings, named after something or someone famous, bought for a fortune, and then never have a single frame shot with it.  No other camera in the world could get away with that ... well ... maybe Hasselblad 500c could.  For mere mortals who just want to shoot with a Leica M, they can be found in great condition for a heck of a lot less, and then resold for about the same amount if they do not suit one's taste.  In the meanwhile the persons who buy those exotic collectables, and thereby help keep Leitz solvent, have my blessing.

@Leicaphilia
Henry,

Just found your thoughts on this forum and the link to my  leicaphilia website.

I think your initial post here is worth a repeat on my website. I'm always looking for the experiences of people like you, who've grown up photographically with Leica Ms. I think we have to fight the idea that Leicas were only ever a luxury good instead of a damn fine camera that still works with a minimum of fuss.

So, I'm offering you to share your experiences on leicaphilia.com. Let me know! T

Greetings, Leicaphilia.

Welcome to the PCI Forum.  Please make yourself at home. 

You are welcome to share my various prejudices on your Leicaphilia website.  Just be mindful that they are merely the opinions of one old snort who has a special affinity for Leica M and some other great metal, mechanical, all-manual cameras.  I hope that our fellow Members who have an interest in Leica M will become acquainted with your very well conceived website.

Again, welcome to PCI.

Happy Day.

:)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:25:04 PM by Hankosaurus »
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 01:40:00 AM »
Hi Gang.

I was just now enjoying reading an article about Robert Frank on Leicaphilia.com and ran across the image below.  I wonder if Ken Rockwell knows about this yet.  Can you see why Ken might be interested?  ;)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:49:06 AM by Hankosaurus »
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline somnath goswami

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 07:17:52 AM »
Hi Gang.

I was just now enjoying reading an article about Robert Frank on Leicaphilia.com and ran across the image below.  I wonder if Ken Rockwell knows about this yet.  Can you see why Ken might be interested?  ;)

Because it's got a left hand side shutter?  😁

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 09:33:22 AM »
BINGO

That's right, Somnath!  Ken talked about a left handed Nikon some years back.  Made up a story about it just for fun, claiming that Nikon had loaned him a prototype for him to test out or some such.  Then lots of folks bit on that humor.  I was a bit taken aback that the image of the Leica in that ad above had been reversed left to right.  Thought of Ken's prank immediately.

Here's what Ken said about it before revealing that it was a hoax:
About the left-handed camera on the home page

The left handed Nikon F100 you see on my home page was loaned to me for beta testing in 1998 when Nikon was considering producing a left handed version of the F100. Yes, I also wear my watch on my right arm and if you think I'm kidding just click the image on my Contact page for the original hi-rez film scan where you can see for yourself that it's not just a flipped negative. Nikon decided against producing the camera, but let me keep the beta on indefinite loan as thanks for all my input. (This was long before I started this site.) It of course remains property of Nikon Japan. I may not sell it, although it would fetch a pretty penny in the collector's market. I have to return it to Nikon eventually, and of course when it breaks it won't be repaired. I even had a veterinarian friend in Africa who specializes in elephant care send me some phallus hide from the Loxodonta Africana (known for its flexibility and grip when wet) which I then had a local taxidermist apply to my camera in place of the original rubber. It took a lot of paperwork with the U.S. Dept. of Fish and Game but at least it doesn't peel off on my D1H as the rubber does.

Happy Day.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:57:38 AM by Hankosaurus »
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Offline Leicaphilia

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 09:45:48 PM »
Actually, Henry, that's MY left-handed M prototype. I'm currently beta-testing it along with Mr. Frank. Its Dentist Mode is fabulous, spot on exposures. With the aspherical Summilux attached, My cat photos are stunning. :-\
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:48:04 PM by Leicaphilia »

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
 ;D

Look at the bright side - there's still hope for "lefty's".
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 12:16:11 PM »
Actually, Henry, that's MY left-handed M prototype. I'm currently beta-testing it along with Mr. Frank. Its Dentist Mode is fabulous, spot on exposures. With the aspherical Summilux attached, My cat photos are stunning. :-\
Dentist Mode...  Hahaha.  Cat lover, are you?  Me too.  :)

;D   Look at the bright side - there's still hope for "lefty's".
This lovely machine from long ago was made just for lefties, Ayaz:
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 07:40:39 AM »
Hi Gang.

Just noticed the Leica M-A on B&H's site.  It appeared at Photokina in 2014.  I am convinced that the camera is a carbon copy of the Leica M3 introduced in 1953.  It even has the original pull-straight-up film rewinder of the M3 and M2. What other camera can you think of that was introduced sixty-three years ago and which is still available new today?  Wow.

Conceive an image in your mind.  Select an aperture and a shutter speed.  Compose your vision, focus, and shoot.  No automatic modes, no batteries, no nonsense.   Just the basics: a thinking, in-charge photographer and a capable, simple tool that is responsive and does exactly as commanded.   That idea still has appeal with some.   Could it be an antidote for auto-digital-enslavement-overload?

When I was a young whippersnapper in this hobby, back in the 1960s, an old man said words to this effect to me:  "Cameras come and cameras go, but the Leica remains."  I thought he was crazy.  I had just bought a new SLR with TTL metering, after all!  The rangefinder was dead; I was sure of it.

He was right.  I was wrong.  The "New M3" is still available.  And so is film.  For as long as film can be found, a few classic, all-manual cameras will continue clicking.

Happy Day.  :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 08:55:41 AM by Hankosaurus »
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
Re: Fascination with Leica M
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 12:36:58 AM »
HERE'S a link to Thorsten von Overgaard's review of the Leica M10.  A long time professional using Leica, he is fairly direct and candid in his assessment of the M10.  This iteration of Leica M appears to be in some ways embracing new technology, while at the same time moving back towards the classic M3 in some respects.  For example, having an EVF accessory while becoming slimmer like an M3.  Strange as this may seem to most folk, to Leica M enthusiasts this is a very good thing.

Unfortunately for most, the price is beyond prohibitive if one buys a new Leitz lens, M10 body, and the EVF.  Just marvelous stuff to dream about for most of us, me included.

HERE'S a link to many of Thorsten's other videos about his photography.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:33:16 PM by Hankosaurus »
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3