Hello Guest

Author Topic: Shooting RAW v/s JPG  (Read 378 times)

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
Shooting RAW v/s JPG
« on: December 03, 2017, 04:58:03 PM »
I wanted to show my friend why I shoot raw I took this over exposed shot which was shot as raw+jpg
I processed jpg to recover shadow while I processed raw in rawtherapee to recover shadow.
No sharpening applied and results are side by side for reference.

OOC jpg v/s RAW by yndesai, on Flickr

Further enhancement can be done in processed raw file as lot of details in dark area is already revealed.
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
Re: Shooting RAW v/s JPG
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 07:48:13 AM »
Thank you, Yagnesh.

That is a very good example of why raw processing is better for image control in the finished picture.

:)
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline Roshni

• Regular
  • Willing to enhance my Photography skills!
    • Auto Stamper
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:05:53 PM »
I would just say Perfect Example to show the difference and explain the concept of any term.

Offline bitublack

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 12:32:13 PM »
Hello there. I am a newbie (not to photography :), but still a learner).

Please accept my apologies for dusting off a relatively old topic.

I feel the comparison would more strongly favour RAW if the wings and head of the sandpiper (?) would have been processed to the same *brightness* in both shots. For example, the head of the sandpiper in the jpg seems to have been locally touched up to the same brightness as the raw shot, but the wings have been left dark.

To stress that more shadow details are available in RAW, I would consider brightening the wings to the same level in the jpg shot and then showing how details are lost. Maybe even throw in the original shot (or indicate that the jpg shot was how they both looked OOC).

Please let me know what you (and others) think. I have upcoming plans for some content I wish to create, and your feedback would be of help to me.

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 03:06:35 AM »
Sorry for late reply ...

I just did the overall settings and did not brighten up the wings as it would overexpose bg.

Both of these were done within few tweaking of image settings of brightness/levels etc
and to put across a point that with similar efforts you get much better results in RAW when
shooting conditions are demanding.

In case shooting conditions are favorable shooting jpg might still be a good option as it (like in studio under controlled lights)

Opening shadows in wings will need masking and much more efforts.

In case con
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)