Hello Guest

Author Topic: Asus Nexus 7(2012) - A small review - Now complete !  (Read 1373 times)

Offline pankaj21

• Rookie
  • Love to shoot "Birds" & "Brides"
    • Pankaj Dhoot
Asus Nexus 7(2012) - A small review - Now complete !
« on: January 08, 2014, 05:18:23 PM »
Hi All,

Would like to take the opportunity to put up this review on the forum.
I bought this tablet 6 months back & the reason I am writing this review is that I understand that there are many like me who must be in dilemma for long, on which tablet to buy. Well but firstly the question that pops up to my mind is "Should I invest in one?"

Specifications

OS  : Android OS, v4.1 (Jelly Bean), upgradable to v4.4.2 (KitKat)
 Chipset :   Nvidia Tegra 3
 CPU :    Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9
 GPU :   ULP GeForce
 Memory : 1GB
 Storage : 32gb (available in 8 & 16GB too)
 Data : Supported (3g)
 WLAN : Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
 Bluetooth : Yes, v3.0
 NFC : Yes
 USB : Yes, microUSB v2.0
 Sensors : Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
 Display :    Contrast ratio: 908:1 (nominal)
 Display Type :  LED-backlit IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
                                 Size 800 x 1280 pixels, 7.0 inches (~216 ppi pixel density)
 Multitouch : Yes, up to 10 fingers
 Glass type : Corning Gorilla Glass
 Primary Camera : 1.2 MP, Video-calling, 720p recording
 Secondary Camera :   No

Size  :

It measures 10.45mm (0.41 inches) thick, which is really slim. It weighs much less: 340g. This is very crucial factor and it makes the Nexus 7 much nicer to carry around.

Build quality

Build quality is good considering the price you pay. The display is an IPS Amoled 7? display. The Gorilla corning glass is scratch proof (though I did not dare try to test it). The bezel is a metallic finished plastic. The edges are curved which makes it easy to be held single handedly & make it far more comfortable.
There is a front camera at the top placed in the center. It?s a 1.2 MP camera & does not excite much. I would not recommend it even for the selfie addicts. May be it was put there for its usage with Skype. Just wish there was a rear camera on the tab & it would have been an all-rounder for me.
You may see a notification light beneath the screen - but that only appears when your attention is needed. There's a power/sleep button on the right-hand side, along with the volume rocker.
On the left bottom (almost), you will find the Sim card slot.
The back is textured & is the best cover a tab/cell phone can have. It?s rubberized (though it looks more leathery) & offers excellent grip. It also has an etched Nexus logo. Move further down toward the bottom of the back and you'll find the device's single speaker. It's a slit that runs roughly two-thirds of the way across the back, centered and sitting about a half-inch above the bottom -- which is, by the way, where you'll find the tablet's only ports. Centered down there is a micro-USB connector and, to the far right side when looking at the display, the 3.5mm headphone jack. Considering the pace at which technology is advancing there is no dedicated HDMI output, which is a bit of a downside. I have read that external storage devices can be connected via OTA cable but not really tried it. But it that works then it would certainly nice to have that feature too.
That?s it! If you need a tablet that you could just pick up and carry around with you, carry it easily in a bag or even in your pockets and know it's there when you need it, then the Nexus 7 is the one.

Introduction  :

I bought this tablet 6 months back & the reason I am writing this review is that I understand that there are many like me who must be in dilemma for long, on which tablet to buy. Well but firstly the question that pops up to my mind is ?Should I invest in one?
The need aroused for me when it became a bit cumbersome to carry those huge n heavy wedding albums to the clients? place to showcase my work. And it happened many a times that the clients get bored going thru those pages manually. This is when I thought of having something digital or rather virtual that would make my work a bit more attractive & stand out better. Well then why not a cell phone which is multipurpose?
To answer that I would say that my HTC desire SV falls behind when it comes to the eye catchy display. The colors are not that vibrant. Also at the time when I ended up buying the Desire, I did not have enough budget to invest in a high end smartphone.
Apart from the above, I also needed a music & movie store house. Now began the mission to go through a hell lot of reviews on a lot of tablets. Samsung, Asus Nexus, Apple, Lenovo, Spice, Kindle & the list went on. Somehow after a month of headache I settled on Samsung, Apple & Asus Nexus. Apple was a bit of a stretch of budget & so I was almost inclined towards the Samsung as it gave more features than the Nexus then. Though I didn?t need a tab to make calls. Finally when I was out for buying one, I saw the Asus Nexus 7 32gb, Wi-Fi, Sim card version up for sale with 45% discount :P
The cost was 23.5k then which was being offered for 16k. And bingo??this is what all I needed. Got one right away & was never so happy while buying any electronic item :)

Now was the time to check out in personal if I the device satisfied my needs. What were they??

1.   Should have a very good display
2.   Battery life should be considerable as I wander a lot & would be carrying it with me most of the times apart from client visits.
3.   Processor should be good enough to handle games.
4.   Did not want something like a 10" inch in my hands as it would no longer remain easy to carry for me. So laptop was out of question here!!
5.   Sound quality & video output should be good. Not a Full HD freak, but decent formats should be supported.
6.   Sim-card was not on the list considering my budget, but having one would be an add-on as that would assure data connectivity as & when needed

The Nexus 7 was on a test to see if it meets my needs or not. The tab came with android 4.2 out of the box which was ready to be updated to 4.3 already (The Kit-Kat update is out for the Nexus 7 now). First thing I did was headed to my friend?s place to update it on Wi-Fi :P
Installed all the apps I required.
The tab once fully loaded with all the apps took around 20-25 seconds to boot. Well so does my Desire & so its not that I am happy with but isn?t gonna be the end of the world for me.
But once you're in, believe me applications load quickly and respond briskly, even graphics-heavy ones like the Google Play magazine app. Webpages are rendered promptly and swiping through them is snappy. Never have I faced any kind of lags as such.
The NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core processor running at 1.2GHz paired with 1GB of RAM does the job well here.  There's no micro SD expansion here & so 32 GB is something that one has to live with. For me 32GB (28GB approx. usable memory) would be more than enough & I don?t think I would regret that. Even if I did, do we have any options

WiFi (802.11b/g/n) & the Sim card are the options for data connectivity, though there's naturally Bluetooth and NFC, not to mention GPS, an accelerometer, a digital compass and a gyroscope, too.
Low end tablets typically make the biggest sacrifices with the display. But that?s not the case with the Nexus 7, which is fronted by a very nice 1,280 x 800 IPS panel rated at 400 nits of brightness. More pixels may be better but the WXGA feels perfect here. Text is rendered very well and 720p videos look great.
Viewing angles are top-notch, with contrast being strong regardless of which side you're viewing from. It's plenty bright, a properly nice screen that like everything else in the tablet, is just a little nicer than I had expected at the paid cost. I can vouch for the viewing angles on the tab. It?s just awesome.
Another thing to mention is fingerprints on the screen. You would not see anything with the tab on. Once the display goes off?.ahh you would be surprised where all the smudge did come from? I need to carry a cloth always with me, rather I wrap the tab in it all the time. Having a screen protector might be of help, but I just don?t want to play with that ULTIMATE display.
Audio, is nothing out of the world but fits in its class. The speakers integrated in the back deliver a decent amount of sound that isn't that bad to listen to. The sound is good enough to watch & listen a movie in your bedroom. I rather prefer to use headphones which give a very good experience while watching movies.
Benchmarks is something I have not invested time upon, but reading some reviews on the internet they seem to be better than the high end tablets. But the performance for me has been apt till date, never did I thought of comparing them in actual.
One great thing I personally feel is undoubtedly the inclusion of multiple user accounts. I have 3 accounts on it already. Some privacy huh!!! ;)

Lastly the battery life is something that keeps me driving nuts. I have used the tablet on a trip watching 4 movies with total duration of 11 hours & still had enough juice on it. Something that I can just wish my 4.3? Desire would have.

The cost is the biggest talking point about this tablet, & you would certainly understand what I mean once you get hold of it. At the price, though the Nexus 7 was a real impulse purchase, but having seen the quality of the device I would say?. ?Just go for it?. It's a wonderful piece of technology & one would never get bored of it.

Long story short for me is.... I find it a very comfortable "thing" to carry with me & that to anywhere. To sum it all for you guys, here are the pros & cons.

Pros :
1. 7" IPS display with great viewing angles & colors.
2. Battery life
3. On board storage
4. Considering the specs, I still find it very reasonably priced.
5. Easily pocketable
6. Connectivity options
7. Can send & receive SMS (with appropriate apps)

Cons:
1. Cannot make calls (unless you have apps & data connection)
2. Whats app cannot be installed (Rooting is the only way out)
3. The screen is smudge addicted. Needs to be cleaned at regular intervals.
4. Front camera is very poor.
(Considering the price, lack of full HD support & missing rear camera was specifically kept out of the Cons list)

[/b]Bottom line[/b]: 

I have not compared the Asus Nexus 7 with any of the other tablets as I do not have/had any of them. There might be better ones in the market but not the price of this one. I have just tried to highlight my experiences. So whether it?s a worth buy or not, I would rather leave this upto you if the tab suits you or not.

Also I have not included any images of the tablet as you may find a lot of them on the internet. But still if anybody is looking for any specific image or check out the tablet in person, would be happy to help  :)

Thanks for viewing !!

Pankaj :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:02:17 AM by pankaj21 »
https://pankajdhoot.wordpress.com/

Reviews in queue:

Vivitar 28mm f2.5 M42 lens
Dolica Carbon Fiber tripod - a low budget alternative

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
Re: Asus Nexus 7 - A small review
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 06:15:10 PM »
Where is the review?

Offline Fake ID

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Photographers Club Of India
    • Photographers Club of India
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:27:01 PM »
seems like his file did not attach :p , just me 2 cents ...

Anil George

Canon Gear 5D Mark III,Lens : 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II USM, 16-35mm f/4 IS USM,Extender 2x III, Elinchrom 400 FXR, Speedlite 600 EX- RT,Continous Lights, Backdrops, monopad with Manfrotto MHXPRO3W X-PRO 3-Way Head etc.
Website: www.photographersclubofindia.com - (By Invitation Only)

Offline pankaj21

• Rookie
    • Pankaj Dhoot
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:36:52 PM »
Doc...pls lock it temporarily. I'm not able to edit n add content. 404 de raha he

Reviews in queue:

Offline pankaj21

• Rookie
    • Pankaj Dhoot
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 09:38:22 PM »
I pinged on chat but probably u were away then

Reviews in queue:

Offline Gaurav Prabhu

• Regular
  • On my way to "Mastering Light"
    • ShutterTux
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
As and when you post the review pankaj, be sure to mention is this review of Nexus 7(2012) or Nexus 7 2(2013) version.

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 05:21:04 AM »
Ok. Try to edit and add now. Or just put in reply.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Offline saiki

• Trusted Member
  • Manic
  • From Canon camp
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 11:28:13 PM »
i got myself 2 pieces from flipkart 2012,32gb version ......kinda good ......playing templerun2,glory wings & fruit ninja...seamless....display is ok not good......not full hd...value for money tablet......waiting for your full review....
Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I?m going to take tomorrow. ? Imogen Cunningham

Offline pankaj21

• Rookie
    • Pankaj Dhoot
Re: Asus Nexus 7(2012) - A small review
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 11:36:39 PM »
doc... this time it went through. Not sure what was causing the issue though.

Thanks for your help :)

Reviews in queue:

Offline hvdatar

• Manic
Re: Asus Nexus 7(2012) - A small review - Now complete !
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »
 :like:
Some Canon Gears

Offline aditya.ghosh9516

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 06:41:49 PM »
Yeah its a good phone

Offline Jasii

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 06:59:19 AM »
 :like:

Appreciate your time and effort to write this one.
A Year young with my DSLR and loving it.........
Gear: Canon 600d + 18-55, +55-250