Hello Guest

Author Topic: Wildlife Photography  (Read 151 times)

Offline Ronish Baxter

Wildlife Photography
« on: March 16, 2018, 11:46:14 AM »
I am you can say a beginner in photography and I need some advice from you guys. I am planning on a month long leave from office and travel around India to try my hand at wildlife photography. I know of the forest reserves and sanctuaries where I can click wild beasts but anything offbeat? For example, what if I would like to click snow leopards in the wild? What would be the best camera for wildlife photography? Please advice - Ronish Baxter.
Ronish Baxter

Offline bitublack

• Rookie
Re: Wildlife Photography
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »
This is a pretty wide-open question. I will try and take a shot at answering something I am sure others more knowledgeable than myself, on this forum, can answer better, but have chosen to stay away from.

(1) You have not mentioned a budget and how much equipment you are willing to carry. Also, will this equipment be only be used to shoot big targets from a distance of many metres (I am guessing you will not get a chance to take close-ups of snow leopards in the wild :) ) or other things as well? Like maybe a shot of the forest landscape, or a flower petal from a few mm away? These would require vastly different gear.

(2) You have asked for the best camera. *Any* dslr/MILC camera, even second hand ones from a few years back may be able to do what you ask of it. If you have a fixed budget in mind, it may be better to apportion most of the budget for a good lens (or lenses) and use any camera body that then fits in that budget. If you have an infinite budget, then Fast AF, Weather Sealed well built body, etc. would be some qualities I would look for. Again, without knowing what you would want to do or willing to spend it is difficult to be more specific. Maybe get a some camera body (some canon/nikon dslr) + longest good lens (at least 200-300 mm on the long end, maybe a Canon 75-300 or Nikkor 70-300 as applicable. Maybe even the Nikkor 200-500 if you can stretch it)? Manage wide angle requirements with either a kit lens or smartphone or some digicam.

(3) The *most* important advice. You should know how to handle your equipment, *whatever* you finally choose to go with. It is surprisingly easy to take horrendous pictures with the best equipment, if one is not familiar with his/her gear. I have often found myself taking all-time-low-quality pictures immediately after an *upgrade*, till I get the hang of my new equipment. If you are new to photography, you may want to make sure you give yourself a lot of time to get used to whatever equipment you are planning to take with you. Take your long tele lens, set up a packet of chips near a window and try to get sharp shots during dawn or dusk from the other end of the room. Remember, this will typically be much easier than your real life shots and should be the basic skills you must have before you are presented with that opportunity you absolutely do not want to miss.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:03:09 PM by bitublack »

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
Re: Wildlife Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 11:01:22 PM »
Thanks, Abhishek.

Your advice seems "right on target," in my opinion.  One should pick equipment that will do the job, and use it until it is second nature.  Like how it is that we don't even have to think about the keys on the PC's keyboard, or the gears as we shift them on a car or motorcycle.  The equipment becomes at one with us after a while.

Fancy gear does not make one a photographer any more than a Ferrari makes one a Formula One driver.   My personal learning path was living proof of this fact.

If I were starting today from scratch on a budget, I'd probably get a Canon or Nikon dSLR and the best glass I could afford for the particular photographic specialty I had in mind. 

The new photographer should take learning seriously ... knowing one's equipment, and knowing the fundamentals of the photographic art.  Getting involved with training classes, workshops, and groups with like interests can help a lot.  Others have traveled this path before.  Many are only too happy to share their experiences and accumulated knowledge with us.

Happy Day.  :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:38:07 PM by Hankosaurus »
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.