Hello Guest

Author Topic: Nikon d810 color accuracy  (Read 394 times)

Offline Maheshp

• Rookie
Nikon d810 color accuracy
« on: May 22, 2018, 05:55:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am facing some issues with my Nikon d810. I had shot some shoe photos, in that I have noticed a huge color difference for one shoe attached below. First, I thought there is a white balance issue with it, I checked for white balance but its good. I shot it with studio strobe and also outdoor with natural light but the problem is not solved. Please check my image and give some suggestion to correct it.

Not: Loafer_1.jpg is the original color of the show achieved through photoshop
        DSC_9822.JPG   is what I have got in my camera

Thank you
Mahesh P

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
Re: Nikon d810 color accuracy
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 08:07:43 PM »
I know you said you checked, but this does look like problem with WB settings. What steps have you done. What are your settings?
Last resort would be service center.

Offline bitublack

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 09:46:33 PM »
While I too am unable to rule out a white-balance issue (a shot in exactly the same conditions with the same background, and some other coloured items thrown in would help), it could also be a colour-space issue.

I downloaded your images and looked at whatever exif was available. In one I can see that the 'Colour Representation' field has value 'sRGB', while in the other it shows up as 'Uncallibrated'. A similar interesting difference is there in 'Photometric Interpretation' (too lazy to google, no clue what this one means). Something like what is discussed here: https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/83740/change-jpeg-colorspace-encoding-value .

For some reason Loafer_1.jpg does not seem to have any Camera make/model etc. info in EXIF either. This could all be a red-herring because everything is actually the same, but something stripped away the EXIF from one of the files, but could also be worth looking at.

So the next step would be, can you make sure to ensure that the processing that was done on these remains exactly the same?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:13:12 PM by bitublack »

Offline Maheshp

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 09:12:02 AM »
I know you said you checked, but this does look like problem with WB settings. What steps have you done. What are your settings?
Last resort would be service center.

Hi Thanks for reply
I have used Kelvin 5000

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 09:36:11 AM »
That's not right is it? You have to use grey card to calibrate under atypical lights. Shooting white paper comes white with this setting in this light?

Offline ISO

• Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 01:18:19 PM »
It seems white balance issue.

I corrected white balance of the bottom image in PS. It is now coming close to color of original photo See attached.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:02:51 PM by ISO »

Offline Maheshp

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 07:07:28 PM »
That's not right is it? You have to use grey card to calibrate under atypical lights. Shooting white paper comes white with this setting in this light?

Thank you, sir, I also thought to use a grey card for next shoot.

Offline Maheshp

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 07:08:45 PM »
It seems white balance issue.

I corrected white balance of the bottom image in PS. It is now coming close to color of original photo See attached.

Thank you for the help sir. Will definitely check the white balance for next shoot.

Offline ISO

• Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 06:05:26 PM »
I think you need to check your workflow from Shoot to print and settings of camera and flash to identify why there is color difference?

Are you shooting raw?

https://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/color_managed_raw_workflow.pdf