Author Topic: Sunset Fisherman  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Jasii

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
Sunset Fisherman
« on: January 13, 2014, 12:52:28 PM »
This pic taken on a recent visit to Pong Dam in Himachal Pradesh, was a coincidence that the fisherman had his hand extended at the right moment, at the right place when I pressed the shutter.
I quite like it. The orange lit sky to me is a mood elevator :)

Presenting the same for your critique for self appraisal and further improvement.

Canon 600d + 55-250.  1/250, 10, iso 100 shot at 79mm.

A Year young with my DSLR and loving it.........
Gear: Canon 600d + 18-55, +55-250

Offline somnath goswami

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
Re: Sunset Fisherman
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:16:54 PM »
Jasii ji . I like the shot but I see some issues ...

the positioning of the subject , had it been to further right , would have been nicer IMO. Eye is demanding more negative space to the left.

One speck of dust on LHS lower side.

cheers

somnath

Offline dashillol

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Learner by Choice
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 05:41:51 PM »
Jasiiji, if you could position yourself in way so that the fisherman is exactly against setting sun, it would have been better. here sun and it reflection is drawing attention parallely with the silhoeutte of the fisherman. Just my opinion. Experts may not agree.  :)
A Nikon lover with few glasses, Nikon and Yongnuo speedlights, Benro tripod with ball-head and a few Hoya/Nikon/Marumi/Griffin filters

Offline Sandeep

• Trusted Member
  • Manic
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »
Jassi ji, a nice attempt at silhoutte...

Some critique from my side:

1- The frame needs more breathing space on the left side as said above. Why? Because that's the direction the fisherman is looking, and we want sufficient space for our eyes to follow his line of sight.
2-The sun is high on the horizon and very bright, thus competing with fisherman for our attention. Either it could've been kept out of the frame completely, or if you wanted to keep it in, then this shot was more suitable when the sun was down at horizon and diffused.
3-Since this is a silhouette shot, a faster shutter speed, say a 1/500 or even 1/1000, would've also worked. It will keep the fisherman's silhouette intact , while also darkening the BG sky further to give more of those orange hues which you liked.

was a coincidence that the fisherman had his hand extended at the right moment, at the right place when I pressed the shutter.
Slowly as you progress...you will be ready with your finger on the shutter in advance, anticipating the right movement to happen  ;)
"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept." - Ansel Adams

Offline Hot Shoe

• Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 11:13:59 PM »
Good attempt Jasii and there has certainly been some success! The pros have highlighted the shortcomings so I guess it will help next time.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:48:51 PM by Hot Shoe »
Nikon D7000   /// Nikkor 35mm 1.8G  50mm 1.8D   55-300mm  // Tamron 17-50 f2.8  90mm f2.8 Macro  // Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6  /// Yongnuo 460 II  560 III  /// Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT // Rollei Pro BH611

Offline PixelHunter

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Learning something new everyday..
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 11:23:12 PM »
Very nice Jassi ji. I liked the shot very much. What I feel could have enhanced the pic is-

Including the whole boat instead of cropping it, if it was possible.

A bit darker bg.

keeping the sun out of the frame.

But very nice shot none the less.. Keep it up..
"The best camera is the one that's with you" Chase Jarvis

Offline Rakesh J.V

• Trusted Member
  • Loyalist
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 10:16:01 AM »
What I like:

1. The mood created by the color of the sky.
2. You got the exact frame where he is about to touch the boat, but still has not. This is what i like the most about the picture.

What could have been done better:

1. Space to the left (already explained in above posts)
2. You could have shot this a little wider. Again, I am not sure about the FL or geographical restrictions that you might have had.
3. You could have shot this from a ground level. Might have been a nice perspective :)

Best of luck :)

Rakesh

Offline Jasii

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 10:51:25 AM »
Points absorbed Rakesh ji!
Thank you Sir!
A Year young with my DSLR and loving it.........
Gear: Canon 600d + 18-55, +55-250

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 11:09:46 PM »
Hi Jasii.

I feel that sensation of needing some space to the left also. With the existing image, this may be accomplished to some degree by cropping away the rightmost ten percent of the image. Just putting my hand over that part of the (whole) image, as I view it on my monitor, makes it better to my eye.

There is also a speck over the mountains that I cannot make out. Is it a plane? Is it a bird? No, it's Superman! (just kidding, of course). I think I would just clone that speck out.

Finally, I think I would experiment with post processing the image to have a more saturated background. The silhouette is already black, so it will get no blacker in the process. I think the effect will be somewhat more dramatic.

Anything I say is pure prejudice, of course. Just know that.

:)
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline Nikon

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 07:10:53 AM »
Nice Try...