Author Topic: Need suggestion with my next lens  (Read 903 times)

Offline rockport101

Need suggestion with my next lens
« on: March 17, 2021, 08:30:44 PM »
Hello, I am new to the club and I am not sure if the following question fits this section properly but anyhow.

I am an amateur photography enthusiast, I own a Canon m50 and I was thinking about buying a new lens, I've decided to buy the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN (EF-M). But the problem I'm facing is that several friends and relatives are always excited when my camera is near them and they always ask me to click a picture of them, I do click some pictures of them with the 15-45mm kit lens I have, but I was thinking about buying a lens for portraiture and even learn or practice portraiture for some experience. Since it is just for my personal experience I wanted to go really tight on the budget ~12,000 INR, but turns out not many good quality lenses are available for EF-M mount, that too this cheap, except for some 3rd party, manual lenses like Kamlan 50mm f1.1 or Meike 50mm f/1.7 or something else like this. So I gave up the idea of EF-M and allowed myself to search for other mounts and I stumbled upon the Nikon AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f4-5.6G, a manual telephoto lens costing around 8,000 INR (with adapter it'll cost ~15,000 INR, which I could manage). I've read in several places that short telephoto lenses are better for portraits and this one looks like the best thing.

I need advice if this combination is worth buying since it's purely for my experience and experimentation, or should I go for something else, like any other lens, or maybe used lens or perhaps even vintage lens, which costs me ~12,000 INR. (I don't want to buy used lens because I am afraid that I'll end up with something bad, I've previous experiences with other used things I've bought earlier and those have developed this fear. I have never bought used camera gear though)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:09:42 PM by rockport101 »

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
Re: Need suggestion with my next lens
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 10:22:53 PM »
I wouldn't suggest this Nikkor. Specially if your main interest is portraiture.

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 10:43:52 PM »
Hello rockport101.

Welcome to the PCI Forum.   Congratulations on your acquisition of a Canon M50 mirrorless camera. 

I think I would try to stay with EF-M mount optics unless your experimentation is to include slow, deliberate, manual control of the lenses.  That's okay if you are up to it.  In fact, with adapters, Canon can mount a lot of other-brand glass.  This is something that Nikon cannot do well because of the flange to sensor distance being too long in the Nikon F mount.

A fast Canon 50mm lens should not cost much, and it could be a good choice for general portraiture on the APS format.  The wide aperture will give good depth of field control, allowing you to soften background elements in the composition.  Whatever lens you choose for portraiture, you will want to stay six feet or more away from the subject to keep from distorting facial features.

Your friend's suggestion that a medium range zoom is good for portraiture is generally correct, IMO.  If I were doing that, I would look for a Canon mount optic that picks up at about where your present optic leaves off, and goes up from there. A faster optic will have better depth of field control for soft backgrounds.

Don't be too dismayed by the price of glass.  It is the most important factor in forming your images.

About used things:  One has to be careful about the integrity of the person with whom one strikes up a deal.  However, people do buy used optics with good success routinely.  Take a look on this Forum's for sale section and on the similar section at JJMPF  ( https://jjmehta.com/forum/index.php?board=8.0 ).

Good luck with your journey with photography.

:)
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline rockport101

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 05:28:12 PM »
Hello rockport101.

Welcome to the PCI Forum.   Congratulations on your acquisition of a Canon M50 mirrorless camera. 

I think I would try to stay with EF-M mount optics unless your experimentation is to include slow, deliberate, manual control of the lenses.  That's okay if you are up to it.  In fact, with adapters, Canon can mount a lot of other-brand glass.  This is something that Nikon cannot do well because of the flange to sensor distance being too long in the Nikon F mount.

A fast Canon 50mm lens should not cost much, and it could be a good choice for general portraiture on the APS format.  The wide aperture will give good depth of field control, allowing you to soften background elements in the composition.  Whatever lens you choose for portraiture, you will want to stay six feet or more away from the subject to keep from distorting facial features.

Your friend's suggestion that a medium range zoom is good for portraiture is generally correct, IMO.  If I were doing that, I would look for a Canon mount optic that picks up at about where your present optic leaves off, and goes up from there. A faster optic will have better depth of field control for soft backgrounds.

Don't be too dismayed by the price of glass.  It is the most important factor in forming your images.

About used things:  One has to be careful about the integrity of the person with whom one strikes up a deal.  However, people do buy used optics with good success routinely.  Take a look on this Forum's for sale section and on the similar section at JJMPF  ( https://jjmehta.com/forum/index.php?board=8.0 ).

Good luck with your journey with photography.

:)

Hello,

Initially I too wanted to be in the EF-M mount, but as I started to research about the lenses for EF-M mount, I found out that there are not many (with autofocus), and the the few I found interesting were priced off the charts, especially for me. I am just an amateur enthusiast and I click photos as a hobby, not for professional use, thus such high prices really freak me out. I do want something good but I can/ have to compromise a lot for the price. Since I am not doing any portraiture with professionals, just my friend and family, I can ask them to hold still till I focus, in addition to that I have a mirrorless camera, so I can zoom in to check the focusing, that too fast; overall, I can save quite some money if I choose a manual lens. I know that cheap lens will result in a quality drop, but I can take that hit easily.

As you said, a fast 50mm lens would be good, I was thinking the same, and honestly, I was thinking about getting one, but the Nikon 70-300mm gave me another hope. With such a small price I can get a good lens for portraiture as well as a typical telephoto lens, a little less usable due to lack of autofocus, but still useful for the price I'm paying.

I honestly want to buy a good autofocus lens, and I hope I can find a good used option.

I wouldn't suggest this Nikkor. Specially if your main interest is portraiture.

Hi,

Could you elaborate a little on that please? It'll be great if could know why.
And, could you suggest a lens for portraiture?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 05:31:01 PM by rockport101 »

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 09:42:23 PM »
Hello rockport101.

AF lenses rarely focus as easily in manual as with AF.  The Nikkor zoom, most likely, would not AF at all on your Canon... well, unless there is some patchwork thing that will make it work.  I am not aware of any such thing.  I would also wonder how the metering might work with a Nikkor on a Canon body.  It might be of the stop-down variety if it is available.

A decent manual focus lens will have a lot of control in the focusing ring, a lot of rotational distance traveled to achieve precise focus.  Conversely, AF focus rings are typically shorter travel, and are more jittery or jerky when trying to focus precisely.

Since the emergence of AF as the most common method of focusing, SLR focusing screens have been optimized for slow, AF zoom lenses which are being provided as standard kit instead of the classic fast fifty millimeter optic of 35mm film's heyday. The focusing surface of most modern cameras is consequently inferior for manual focusing.  However, it may be that the EVF mitigates or overcomes this limitation.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 10:59:47 PM by Hankosaurus »
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline SandraDutton

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 12:50:04 AM »
Great thoughts, I thank you for the useful materials.